Thursday, November 9, 2023

Promise of Spring or Serendipity

Either title is perfect.  This is a Kim Diehl ..... or, rather, my version of her pattern.  

In the magazine that I used, it is known as "Promise of Spring" but in her book "Simple Comforts", it is known as "Serendipity Sampler".

You can read all about how this quilt differs so much from her original pattern.  Just go to the label at the bottom of this post and click onto Kim Diehl and you will be able to read about all her quilts that I have made in the years gone by.  Going and looking at all those posts, it was a refresher for me too and was quite enjoyable to read them all.

How lovely my quilt looks resting on fallen leaves.
I had to put my initials and date when this was finished.  It took me a long time .... as in years ..... to pluck up the courage to send this out to be machine quilted.  So, so glad that I did because now it can be fully enjoyed and used.  
Bins of my stash of  plaid/striped charms, yardage and thrift store shirts were pulled out and used .... and I really, really need to make more quilts with these fabrics along with applique.  There is just something about the whole look and I just want to take lots and lots of photos of my quilt ..... but don't want to bore you either!  LOL

This, by far, has to be my favourite quilt!  

Quilt Details:

Source:  "Promise of Spring" in American Patchwork & Quilting, February 2007 issue.  Also, in Kim Diehl's book  Simple Comforts (pattern name changed to "Serendipity").  I have both but bought the magazine first and that is what I worked from.

Started:  June 2013

Top Finished:  March 2014 .... but then added additional borders in 2023 to make it bigger before sending it out to the LAer.

Quilt Finished:  October 2023

Quilt Size:  99-1/2" x 100-1/4" (top size before quilting, washing & drying:  101-1/2" x 101-3/4")

Batting:  Hobbs poly

This was such a pleasure to work on and I still amaze myself how it changed from Kim Diehl's original pattern.  I loved it so much that it just had to be bigger to fit my queen size bed.

Machine quilted by:  Kathy Wareham using Edgewood #1 design by Christy Dillion of My Creative Stitches.

A few final photos of this quilt on the wall in our foyer.   I hope you enjoyed reading about this project as I worked on it.



All I can say is "amen"!  LOL

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well done - what a finish! It looks beautiful on your wall!

Nancy said...

This is beautiful! You did a wonderful job choosing fabrics to create the bright areas and the more greyed/muted sashing in the center and around the edges. I especially like the shade of blue you used with the red int he flowers. Really, everything about this quilt is spectacular! Well done.

Kim said...

I can see why this is your favorite quilt. It’s beautifully done. You have a wonderful talent for making quilts! 🙂

cityquilter grace said...

it would definitely be a fave of mine...i love how she mixes plaids and other fabrics...lovely to the max...

loulee said...

A beautiful quilt Rose Marie.

dutchcomfort said...

Wow, I love this quilt Rose Marie! It's beautiful on the wall too!!

Gretchen Weaver said...

This quilt is so beautiful, I love it! She's a perfect wall quilt, happy stitching!

Jennifer said...

It's easy to see why this is your favourite! It's really beautiful, and is quite an achievement.

Maria said...

Your post radiates brilliance! Insightful, well-articulated, and truly captivating. Thanks for sharing your valuable perspective with us.