Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Oopsie Chevrons

I've made a bit of progress on my Chevron Legacy but had an major oopsie along the way.

In my hurry to applique leaves onto the left outer border, I didn't align the leaves to match up to the sequencing on the other borders and ended up sewing leaves that should not have been in that place.  See the leaves pinned to the applique leaves.  That is the leaf that should have been there.  Silly me.
Wouldn't you know it, but the back of the leaves were already cut away.  This is not going to be a walk in the park.  Now what???
Taking my trusted Crayola Washable Marker, the outside of the leaf was drawn all around.  This is going to be my guide line for sewing on the correct leaf.
The leaf has now been removed.  The excess threads will be removed.  Luckily there is enough seam allowance to enable me to carefully pin in place the correct leaf and applique can begin once again.
Here are two leaves that have been replaced.  It was a bit tricky but doable.  So, try it if you make a mistake.  There was a total of five leaves that needed to be replaced.
It was the outer border on the left that had to be corrected.  Now, we are all fixed up and ready for the remaining two borders on the right to be done.  It just irks me that I made a silly mistake in the first place.
Last week, my sister and I went to Ottawa for a few days to visit an aunt and cousin.  We took a bus from our hotel into the downtown core and walked around a bit after supper.  Tulips were blooming and my sister captured the special 150th tulip that The Netherlands developed for Canada.  Can you see the maple leaf in the centre of the tulip?  Isn't that amazing!  The Netherlands have been sending 10,000 tulips every year to Canada since WWII as a thank you for Canada housing members of the Dutch royal family during the war.  Every May, Ottawa has a tulip festival over the course of three weekends with approximately 300,000 tulips blooming.
I had never been around the Parliament buildings and how delightful it was to see the architecture.  What craftsmanship abounded way back when.
I liked the filigree on the rooftop of this building.
Have a great day!

Sunday, May 14, 2017


On my Chevron Legacy, the last strip finally got done and attached.  All that needs to be done now is the making of vines, prepping more leaves and start appliqueing.  I'm more than thrilled with this top!
Today, DH and I celebrated our 40th anniversary.  My word, how time has flown by!
Have a great day!

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Finally .....

I did promise you photos of my Pie in the Sky quilt as soon as we could get outside.  It has finally stopped raining and snowing and blowing.  Do you know how hard it is to try taking a photo with any kind of wind/breeze?
  The back with the sun shining through it.  Looks lovely.
I had to show you this behind the scene photo showing my quilt rack and the back yard.  A perfect spot for taking photos.  I wonder what the neighbours must think?  LOL
This is the backing that I used.  You know, I still remember where I bought this fabric more than 17 yrs. ago.  Ye gads!  (I wonder what the translation tool will make of that phrase!  LOL)  Glad to have it finally out of my stash.
Hubby and I couldn't wait to get it hung up in our foyer.  Not the right quilt for spring, but we just had to see it hanging.  It will be left there for a few more weeks and then we'll take it down and put up a summer looking quilt.
What a great stash buster this was and it sure used up my 2-1/2" squares in the sashing.

A close-up of the block shows the change I made.  See the star points?  They are in different fabrics than the centre block.  That is the difference I did and what a huge change it made to the overall look.

Pattern Name:  Pie in the Sky
Pattern Source:  Kim Diehl - Simple Graces book
Finished Size: 96-1/2" x 97" (before quilting: 100" x 100-1/4")
Batting:  Polyester
Started:  September 2011
Finished:  May 2017

The top was finished back in August 2012 and has been on a shelf since then waiting to be quilted.  My plan was to hand quilt this, but as time goes on, reality is dictating to me to get my tops machine quilted by a LAer.  So, that is what happened with this quilt.  Many thanks, Ruth.

My garage friends are happy to see me dealing with my tops.  They have nightmares of me suddenly passing away and leaving them to deal with getting the tops and backings ready to take to a LAer.  When I mentioned this to my hubby he said that I should seriously do up a list of names and numbers to call and instructions on what to do with my tops, etc.

Most importantly .... we can use the quilts for display and for keeping us warm.

It would also not be fair and very confusing to leave so many projects unfinished.  I'm dealing with those on a monthly basis.  Reality, folks, reality.  Think about it .....

Have a great day!

Monday, May 8, 2017

A Finish

I do have a finish to show off, but the weather outside is not co-operating right now for me to get a good photo.  It has been raining and now snowing on and off since yesterday.  I'll show a better photo as soon as we can.  For now, just enjoy this photo.
 Miss Ashes has been enjoying this quilt.  She snuggled right into it for a snooze.
Speaking of the Princess, here she is on top of a pile of quilts in my display cabinet.  She has been crying to get inside it since we brought the cabinet into our home.  She could see the quilts, but just couldn't get inside.  Finally I opened the doors and in she went.
There is lots more to talk about, but that will have to wait for another day.

Have a great day!