Saturday, June 4, 2022

Red Sampler

This is my version of Lori Holt's Red Sampler quilt!   I followed along as best as I could, but then took a turn along the way ..... added an applique sashing and ..... well, my version turned out so different than hers.  I love her version, but love my version too.

While photos were being taken, my next-door neighbour came out and admired my quilt and gave me a few hand claps!  I'll take that as a compliment, but she could have been swatting at the black flies.  It is the start of black fly season and they can be quite nasty.  Our crab apple tree is blooming and how lovely it is!
Our rock garden is starting to spring forth with blooms.  All of my husband's hard work is showing itself off very well.


Here is a close-up of some of the blocks, the machine quilting and my appliqued sashing.  At first, I wasn't sure of the red thread in the quilting, but now love it.
Another finished quilt to add to my red/neutral collection ..... and,  good golly, do I have a lovely collection!  How happy that makes me!  For the month of June and with our July 1 holiday coming up, all my red/neutral quilts will be on display in our home.

Quilt Details:
Pattern Source:  quilt along with Bee in my Bonnet using four of her books.  Farm Girl Vintage, Farm Girl Vintage 2, Vintage Christmas and Great Granny Squared

Block size:  12" and 6" and 3" (those 3" blocks were a tad hard to do)

Started:  April 19, 2021  Started on the day we received our first Covid vaccination.  Might as well         make it a memorable start!
Top Finished:  July 20, 2021
Quilt Finished:  April 24, 2022

Quilt Size:  70-1/4" x 89" (top size before quilting, washing and drying:  73" x 91-1/4")

Batting:  Hobbs 80/20 cotton/poly

Quilted by:  Kathy Wareham using Joyful with Pearls by Christy Dillon of My Creative Stitches

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

14 comments:

Deb said...

It looks fabulous! and you are right her version is lovely but you have made it your own and it looks spectacular! Can't wait to see your commemorative home around the red and neutral quilts post lots of pictures!

karenbbsnow said...

Stunning!! Yes, I bet the 3 inch blocks were a challenge.

Jennifer said...

Well done - it's definitely a 'Rose Marie quilt'! Your garden is so pretty at this time of year, and your pretty flowering tree makes the perfect spot for a quilt photo.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I LOVE your quilt, so elegant! The applique is the perfect touch! I enjoy viewing your red & white collection, so many pretty quilts. Happy stitching!

Chookyblue...... said...

It's gorgeous..... Love all the pics in the garden with the quilt....... It looks very steep......

tirane93 said...

that quilt is just breathtaking! every step of the way it has been gorgeous. i'm sure you'll treasure it for many years to come!

Nancy said...

You've made a beautiful quilt! I love all the reds. My favorite part are the sashing blocks with applique. Absolutely love those. I think they add so much to the finished quilt.

Chantal said...

It's gorgeous, both the quilt and the garden. What a lovely place to take pictures. Well done, both of you. ;^)

loulee said...

A beautiful quilt.

Vicki W said...

Your quilt is spectacular!

dutchcomfort said...

Lovely quilt, lovely photos, lovely garden!

Kim said...

Your Red Sampler quilt is a stunner. I love the green you added and the red thread for the quilting is perfect. How pretty she looks sashaying among the crab apple tree.

Julie Fukuda said...

I just love your finish. The blocks, the fabrics, the border ... they all work so perfectly together. Nice setting too.

Kyle said...

Your quilt is absolutely glorious. Staging it in your beautiful rock garden makes a awesome photo setting. Your attention to detail and adding your own applique sashing makes this quilt a one of a kind piece of art!