Saturday, June 25, 2022

Churn Dash update for June

Much, much progress has been made on the Churn Dash Challenge that Chookyblue is hosting.  So far, I've met my challenge for the month of June.  Win-win-win! 

All my large 10" and 5" blocks for the challenge are done .... so don't have to worry about meeting those goals anymore.

Now, the sashings are a different story.  For this large quilt, 64 sashings are needed.  When divided by the 4 month challenge, 16 sashings per month are to be appliqued.  For the month of June, my goal of 16 has been met plus an additional 4 sashings for a total of 20!  Win!

See the arrows in  the top left hand corner and just below the big dark blue block in the middle of the second row?  Those are all the 20 sashings that are done.

So, I'm off to a running start and the sashings will be perfect as a take along project to our cottage outings.

When I posted about all the churn dash quilts (see May 23, 2022 post) that I have made so far, this quilt (below) brought up a question of the source of the pattern.  This is my design that was inspired from a photo of the block on Pinterest.  So .... there is no pattern ..... I just saw the scrappy churn dash block and then went from there.  If ever I make another one of this quilt (it has since been gifted), I might do a tutorial on how to make this quilt.  This is a great way to use up scraps and strings ..... and Lordy knows, there are a lot of each in my stash!  LOL

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

10 comments:

Kim said...

Those sashings are creative. They add so much interest to your churn dashes. I must say love the three quilts showcased in your banner; such a stunning photo.

Jennifer said...

Two fun churn dash projects, although one isn't so new.....you might be in the running for first finished, at this rate!

cityquilter grace said...

i'd say running start is a gross understatement here rose marie...my puny 29 little blocks compared to this??? all i can say is wow...stunning so far...

loulee said...

You have made great progress. I love both of your versions, the new and the old. I too have the scrappy version pinned, it keeps on whispering to me. Maybe one day.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The first churn dash quilt is so beautiful! I love the corner blocks of the sashing and the applique on the sashing! I see a scrappy churn dash quilt in my future sometime, I have plenty of strips and I'm tired of making string X quilts. Thanks for all the eye candy and inspiration! I always love seeing the beautiful red & white quilts, happy stitching!

Dolores said...

That's my all time favourite block. It's the first one I learned to make in a night school class when I learned how to quilt.

Nancy said...

The first quilt -- gorgeous! I really love the addition of the appliqued sashings. What a lot of work to make so many but it will be so worth it in the end. (I just finished my 24th churn dash this week. If it were a race... but thank goodness it isn't!

Kyle said...

Love your originality of the churn dash sashing.

dutchcomfort said...

There's something about churndash quilts... I love the sashings!

Chookyblue...... said...

oh it's looking good.......