Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Fifteen years!

Fifteen years blogging!  OMG!

Where has the time gone?  It doesn't feel like I've been blogging that long.  Yet, the math tells me so.

How can I sum up my 15 years?  

When I first started blogging in February 2007, my first post wasn't much to read about.  Would anyone even bother.  Well, yes you did.  It took a while to get into a rhythm and my posts became more interesting as the years went by.  

What happened during all those years?

Older family members have passed on and new ones have arrived to take their place.  The circle of life.

My Mom loved to read my blog posts.  I would print them out for her and take them with me when it was my turn to stay with her.  She passed away in 2008 at age 90.  Miss you Mom!  She would be so proud of me for still posting all these years.  She was the person that started me on my creative journey.  The older I got, the more creative I became and she would always ask me why I had to start a new craft by making something hard to do.  "Because I can" was my reply and I still do to this day.  The more challenging, the happier I am.

Quilts.  I counted the number of quilts (all sizes) made and totally surprised myself.  How in the world did 126 quilts get made?  One by one they came out of magazines, patterns, my own designs, swaps, and challenges.  They sure added up and no, I don't have most of them anymore.  A lot were gifted or donated. 

Patterns.  From time to time, a person will ask me about a pattern for a quilt that I've designed.  Thank you for your interest, but no, I will not be writing patterns to sell.  At this time in my life, there is no energy to do that.

EQ.  Since getting my first EQ software program, I've never looked back.  Designs just flow out of me and there are so many quilts that have been designed but will never get made.  Not enough time in my lifeline to make them.  Still, it is fun to sit and put my creative thoughts onto a computer screen and watch a new design come to life.

Friends.  So many friends have been made through comments over the years.  Blogs that I loved to read are no more.  What happened to all those bloggers?  

Two international friends are Jennifer and Kevin from Australia.  They stayed with us three times (2012, 2015 and 2018) after we moved to North Bay.  Jennifer blogs at http://bronzewombat.blogspot.com/  Who knew that a simple comment would lead to this kind of friendship?  That is what I find so interesting about blogging.  A friend is just a comment away.

We inherited two cats (no longer with us) back in 2008.  Miss Hank (we were her third owner) and Miss Ashes (we were her second owner).  Gosh, how we loved those two girls and they are sorely missed.  They truly loved my quilts and always wanted to help out when I was trying to quilt.

In 2012, Hubby and I moved from Toronto to North Bay.   We have gotten older but are content with our lives and our home.  Three conditions for buying our new home.  There had to be a garage (we get a lot of snow), a studio space with high ceilings for my design wall and walls for displaying my quilts.  Tick, tick and tick.

Quilt Shows and Ribbons.  Since starting my blog, I've entered quilts into three quilt shows here in North Bay ..... and Lordy, came away with ribbons.  Most of these ribbons were for my hand quilting.  Nowadays, my quilts are machine quilted by a LAer, but there will be a small quilt that will be hand quilted.

2013



2016

2019

Slowly, but surely, I'm getting my blog printed into book form.  Three books so far have been made.  The rest of the years will be done this year.  My DH is thrilled and so are my family.  It is time.  I'm not getting any younger, you know!  LOL

Furniture.  My love of refurbishing furniture took a major upturn when we moved here to North Bay.  Our home is much larger than our bungalow home in Toronto and we needed furniture to fill the spaces.  Enter thrift stores and Kijiji.  Our biggest project were these chairs and we are most proud of them!  There are many more projects that were done, but too many to show here now.
Technology is constantly changing and how lovely to sit at a computer and chat away with other quilters from around the world.  Zooming is a new thing for me and so interesting.  I can chat with one person or over 20 in one meeting.  What next?

Squirrels.  There has been so many squirrels over the years and there will be more to come.  I have so many UFO's to keep me busy for many, many years to come.  One by one, they are getting addressed and finished.  This makes me happy!

So, this has been a small recap, but a wee glimpse to what my blog has been about all these 15 years.  

Will there be another 15 years?  No, I don't think so, but a few more years for sure.

To all of you who have hung on since my first post, or to new readers ..... thank you for stopping by and reading my quilting diary!   If only one of you has been inspired to try something new .... something a wee bit harder .... you are welcome!   It has been a blast and it continues!

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my - those faces look familiar! I cherish our friendship, it has enriched our lives very much. Looking back, you have certainly achieved a lot.

Kim said...

Congratulations on 15 years of blogging. I like the book idea. I believe I’ve followed your blog since the beginning. I let my own blog go when life was challenging and I didn’t have the heart to put that on paper, so to speak. Now I wish I had kept up in some way so I would have that journal of quilt and life happenings.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh my, what an accomplishment! Congratulations on such a wonderful and long lived blog!

eloidastitches said...

What an absolutely lovely post!! Congratulations on 15 years and THANK You so much for writing and sharing all your creativity and thought processes. Your blog has been a real blessing to me. What a wonderful idea to get your blog posts printed into books. Thanks for all the inspiration!! Best wishes for health to you and yours, to continue doing what you love to do.

Chookyblue...... said...

wow 15 on the 22/2/22............lucky day........wow 126 quilts........no idea how many I have made but I should count up......lovely to read your recap over the years........it sure is a long time......
I've been following for such a long long time.........its been wonderful to finally "meet" you on zoom.....

Kim said...

As only happening upon your lovely blog recently, Rose Marie, I am reminded why I look forward to visiting your lovely place. So many lovely snippets of your life to enjoy; especially your creative life. As a gal who loves to tart up the odd chair or some other piece of furniture, I am delighted to read of your love of refurbishing thrift store finds. I rather love the thought of publishing books of blog posts. It would be wonderful to pick up a hard copy and enjoy turning page after page of what we have written, the photos we have created......etc. So much more enjoyable than trying to find a favourite post on the computer. Oh, those first posts we all have written. One does squirm, just a little. But, we all need to begin somewhere, don't we?? Congratulations on fifteen years of blogging. That is quite an achievement during these times when others seem to alight from the blogging train more frequently. So, so delighted to have found you and your little place in cyberspace. It is a place filled with delight and inspiration.

Kyle said...

What an awesome accomplishment, 15 years is quite the dedication. I've enjoyed your recall of that time and learning a bit more about you.

cityquilter grace said...

lovely historical post...a wonderful journey so far

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Rose Marie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. How nice to have such wonderful memories of your stitching life recorded on your blog. And to have made friends through it too. That is how I feel about my blog. It brings me a lot of satisfaction communicating as well as the recording of projects. I look forward to sharing in your quilting journey for many more years to come!