Thursday, February 8, 2024

Summer Picnic

There, my January binding challenge is done.  Yeah me!

This was a LOT of hand stitching, but, so worth it in the end.  Whenever this quilt is shown, everyone remarks at all the embroidery that I did.  Nooooo ...... those images that you see are all from a pre-printed panel.  All I did was fussy cut them down to size and appliqued them onto a hexagon frame.


A mix of white, cream and off-white fabrics have been used throughout.  Below, it looks more beige on the right hand side, but it is just a shadow.

Then, I've also been asked about the hexie border.  Was that a printed panel also?  Nope, that is all hand pieced.  It was remarked that I have a lot of red fabrics.  Oh yes, I do!  LOL   The hexie border was a lot of work, but so worth it in the end!

I do like how the vertical diamonds in the the centre gets carried onto the top and bottom border.  Had to do a bit of thinking on how to bring everything together.  That happens when I come up with my own design.  Sometimes, that is the reason for a project to sit on the shelf for a long time until a light bulb moment happens.

Every time I look at the quilt and the images, it reminds me of summer and a picnic blanket .... thus the name.

Quilt Details:

Hexie size:  1-1/8" on the edge

Started:  July 2020

Top Finished:  August 2023

Quilt Finished:  January 2024

Quilt Size:  55-1/2" x 62-1/2" (top size before quilting, washing & drying:  57" x 64")

Batting:  Hobbs 80/20 

Machine Quilted by:  Kathy Wareham using Gothic Vine by Willow Leaf Stufios

This quilt is now hanging along with all my other red/neutral quilts for February and then it will hang again in June.

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well done on a great finish!

dutchcomfort said...

Such a wonderful finish with all those stitcheries!!

Gretchen Weaver said...

This quilt is beautiful! You've done an excellent job in designing. I completely understand about having a quilt wait for more inspiration before finishing. Happy stitching on the next quilt!

cityquilter grace said...

it is just plain beautiful...and oh that border, so very worth the effort

loulee said...

The hexie border makes the quilt. It is a beautiful quilt and worth all of the time and effort.

Vicki W said...

It's beautiful!

dq said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my! This quilt is absolutely stunning from pattern, to colors, to stitching! And it is even done - yippy!

Florida Farm Girl said...

That's a great quilt! I don't do hexies and can't get excited about EPP so I'll never have one like that.