Friday, February 16, 2024

On a Whim

So far, this month has been a bust for quilting.  Life has been busy and I'm tired by the time evening rolls along.  Now that it is mid-month .... I had better get my butt into gear and get something done!

I did pull out my donation box looking to see what was in there that could be used.  These two blocks were pulled out and I wondered what could be done with them.  There were other blocks but .... blah .... they just didn't work.  So, these blocks stayed and then I started to play.

At night guild, we were shown a new block to do and once instructions were sent to me, viola, here is the block.  Except, I did a boo-boo and didn't quite make the block correctly.  I'm ok with my mistake and all four blocks will stay as is.  No, Jack the Ripper is not coming out.
Then, in the box was a strip of these pinwheels and they got ripped out and used.  Four churn dash blocks got made.  The blocks are starting to add up and fill in spaces.
Then another four blocks of this one.
Below is what my top is looking like so far.  There is still one more block to do and I'm searching for a pattern.  I'm thinking of doing the potholder method to quilt this top.  I've been wanting to experiment with this method for some time now and think this will be perfect.  If it doesn't come out the way I envision, it will be a utility quilt for the cottage.  If it looks nice, then it will be up for donation.
Last week, my sister and her two daughters and I had a marvellous evening out dining in a dome outside on the restaurant patio!  We were told to dress warmly and in layers.  The dome was heated but we were provided with blankets to wrap around our feet and legs.  The temps was just above freezing and we just sat back, drank and enjoyed the food and company.  We had a blast!  My sister's hubby did the driving of us back and forth so that we could drink and not worry about who would be the DD.  Below, is my sister (on the left) and I.  There is a photo somewhere of the four of us, but I just couldn't find it in my files or phone.   
The month of January and half of February were like spring.  No snow and daytime temps were above freezing.  The snow was melting.  Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.  Then, we had a dump of 6" of snow yesterday.  So, so happy to see that for this summer and forest fire season.
Two deer came around this morning and nibbled on our euonymus plant.  We think it is the same deer that decimated it last winter and remembered and came back again.  No problem, the leaves will grow back in the spring as it did last spring.  No photo of the deer, just their footprints in the snow.  Hubby woke me up at 6:15 a.m. this morning to show me the deer.  After admiring the deer, I crawled back into bed.  We were busy later shovelling the snow.
From time to time, I receive emails from followers who have been reading my blog for many years now.  They just want to say how much they enjoy my blog and how much they have been inspired.  Some, I can reply back to but most are no-reply addresses.  Thank you, kind readers.  I'm getting close to 1.3 million views, so I know that I have reached out to many quilters over the years.

Yesterday, I received an email from a gentleman whose wife has terminal cancer.  She is an avid reader of my blog and he reached out to me to tell me.  So, if you are reading this and you are the wife of Jason Burnside, 'hello' and thank you for reading my blog.  I hope that you also have been inspired by something on my blog over the years and have enjoyed reading about and seeing my quilts.

So far, I have made over 200 quilts ..... from NICU blankets, to runners, place mats, lap size to queen size quilts.  You, dear readers, have been part of the reason for me making so many items.  You have kept me motivated to show something on my blog and the results are there for me to see.  Many of the quilts have been kept for hubby and I ..... but quite a number of quilts have been gifted or donated and I'm moving into more of the donation period now.

Next week, I will have been blogging for 17 years.    As long as my eyes and my hands work and I'm alive, then I will be blogging for many more years.  Heck, I have the stash to keep me busy!  LOL

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

8 comments:

Kim said...

What fun to dine in a heated globe! You and your sister look so happy and it’s very nice to see you. I noticed globes such as this in a nearby community and thought they look so cozy and pretty. I stopped to count my own years of quilting and came up with 29 years…surely that can’t be! I’ll have to figure out how many quilts or quilt related items I’ve made. None can compare to the works of art that you’ve created but they make me and others happy enough. So far this year I have made ZERO quilts. Right now we are trying to recover from Covid at our house. It’s the first time we’ve experienced this and hope it’s the last. We’ve been so careful but I suppose it was bound to catch us at some point. Plenty of naps and reading. Seems it takes much more time to tend to basic needs and do the shopping these days. We had our first dump of snow this week, it’s been a lovely mild winter. ☀️

Gretchen Weaver said...

I also enjoy reading your blog but have no idea how long it's been. Your quilt blocks are coming along, it will be a lovely compassion quilt, happy stitching!

loulee said...

Your latest project is shaping up nicely.

Kim said...

Congratulations on inspiring many for 17 years with your blog, Rose Marie. I don't remember when I happened upon your lovely blog but am delighted I did. Another set of blocks in the works for yet another quilt. I love what you have stitched thus far. A lovely photo of you and your sister. It sounds as if you all enjoyed the evening to the hilt! How wonderful! I must say dining and wining in the dome sounds like a wonderful experience.

Jennifer said...

That's a good dump of snow! The heated dome dining experience seems like a lot of fun, what did you eat? And where was it? It won't take you long to decide on that extra block design - using those pinwheels the way you have is a good idea.

dq said...

I say that your "play" with those blocks is going to yield a very nice quilt!

You and your sister look alike enough to tell you came from the same mold. I don't know if I could enjoy an outdoor dinner even with a heater and blankets at that temperature.

The snow is lovely. I was sad to read that one of your readers has terminal cancer. Sadly, my dearest friend does as well. It is good that you could bring her joy for many years.

cityquilter grace said...

well happy blogging anniversary! love those orphan blocks that you have so nicely turned into a pretty and welcoming quilt.

Vicki W said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary! You have a very inspiring blog.