Sunday, December 10, 2023

Collection for a Cause - Friendship

I've been working on this UFO whenever I had a moment to just sit and sew.  Slowly, but surely, it is starting to come together.

Cornerstone fabric was selected, but it needed something.

Circles in the cornerstones!  Yes, that did the trick and so I started to applique the circles onto the fabric.
You can see that I did a mish mash of sashings and I love the look!
My original plan was to use white in the side setting triangles, but found this red printed fabric that suited better.  Major problem .... the beige cornerstones looked blah against the printed fabric.  So, all the cornerstones were pulled .... any circles that were appliqued were ripped out and white fabric was used instead of the beige.  Much, much better.  The fabric looks pink, but is a red print.
I'm pretty close to finishing the center of this top.  Just one more section needs to be sewn onto the top and bottom sections and then borders can be added and I will be happy to call this UFO done.

The stars aligned in my favour this week and ..... viola ..... we have a completed top!  Backing is ready.  Just need batting and I will probably be using scraps that will get frankenpieced.  This UFO is done.
Binding was sewn onto my log cabin quilt.
Sewing down the binding happened and before I knew it, 1-1/2 sides were done.  I'll putter away at the remaining sides and finish it before year end.
I've been noticing that my hubby has been having difficulty eating his dinner.  We like to watch recorded t.v. programs and sit in our comfy chairs while eating.  So, I got handy in the garage and made him a tray that would sit onto the arms of his chair and sit higher so that he can eat better.  His food now doesn't end up on the floor from his shaking hands.  I've been doing more and more work that my hubby would normally take on and I'm becoming quite handy with tools ..... which is quite fun to work with!  LOL  When I told my sister what I made, she laughed because she never knows what I will end of making these days.
Yesterday, a friend sent us this photo that she had taken of us just before we moved from Toronto to North Bay.  How much we both have changed in 11 yrs.; especially my hubby.
Life is getting busy right now.  I'll be back in the new year with a recap of all that got accomplished this year.

Whatever you celebrate, happy holidays and a Happy New Year.

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Such good thinking to build that tray! Good for you. 🙂 It’s good for holding a book to read, laptop or iPad if he’s using such things. If spills become an issue, a shallow tray might be added to contain things. Tom is very shaky so a large tray is used often while dining while viewing TV as you do. Our holiday and everyday has become busier now that my oldest daughter and granddaughter moved to our town from Wisconsin. So happy to have them living just minutes away. Happy holidays to you and your family. 🎄✨

Jennifer said...

What a clever idea....now I know who to ask if I need a tray made! Congratulations on another finished top and yes, the scrappy sashings are fun and the white cornerstones certainly pop against the red. The print on the setting triangles is interesting!

Vicki W said...

You really know how to add just the right touch to a quilt. Those dots in the cornerstones are just perfect!

cityquilter grace said...

a eureka moment for sure and really makes the quilt pop! very very nice indeed...i've been single for 40+ years and early on had my own toolbox and have acquired lots of skills that are handy....a whole new world! merry merry christmas rose marie to you and your dear hubby...

Anonymous said...

Love the little tray you made! There is a company called Liftware that has adaptive silverware especially for folks with Parkinson's hand tremors. As an RN i often bought these for residents in assisted living. It's a wonderful tool that helps maintain dignity during mealtimes. Just a thought!

Chookyblue...... said...

the quilt top is beautiful.........congrats on getting it together........

Goodluck with hubby........you sure are getting handy......