Thursday, October 5, 2023

September Binding Challenge

"Churn Dash-Dash".  A funny title, isn't it?

Still, this quilt is done and can be added to the pile of finished quilts and can be used now at any time .... and I'm so thrilled with it!  It will be going on my bed soon as the nights are chilling down.

My hubby helped me display the quilt over the railing.  As you can see .... leaves are on the ground.  Autumn is definitely here and trees have been displaying their colours for quite a few weeks now.  Some trees started to turn colour back in August.
A close-up of the quilting.  This quilting design (Baptist Fan Curl) has been used in quite a few of my quilts and I will continue to pick it
I just love the backing fabric.  It has been in my stash for many years.

Thanks to https://chookyblue.blogspot.com/and her challenge, this quilt was pulled off the shelf and worked on.  A number of us bloggers zoom with Chooky and we were admiring her Churn Dash quilt.  Chooky issued a challenge along with instructions for the block and quite a few of us took up her challenge.  Initially, my plan was to do her block ..... but what about my Churn Dash UFO that has been sitting on the shelf for years?  Out came that bin and that was worked on instead.  

The sashing was not my original plan, but this worked out much better than first thought.  Dots and dashes sort of reminds me of the Morse Code.  That is where the title of "Churn Dash-Dash" comes from.

If you want to read more about this quilt, see the label at the bottom of this post called "churn dash block" and "Treasured Memories".  Click onto those labels and you can see more of this quilt in the process of being worked on.

Quilt Details:

Source:  My original design

Block Size:  10" and 5" (cornerstones)

Started:  December 2008

Top Finished:  October 2022

Quilt Finished:  September 2023

Quilt Size:  100-1/2" x 101-3/4" (size before quilting, washing and drying:  102" x 102-1/2")

Batting:  Hobbs poly

Machine quilted by:  Kathy Wareham using Baptist Fan Curl (this came with her computerized quilting machine).

My October quilt for the binding challenge has been pulled .... and how happy I will be to start working on this beauty!  

No-blog Mary has pulled a quilt for October and I'm so happy that she is able to resume the binding challenge with me.  First, though, she has to add in some big stitch quilting and then do the binding.  She informed me that she has two of these quilts.  Will she finish just one or two this month?

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Churn dash is beautiful!Enjoy sleeping under her, the weather is definitely cooling here also. Happy stitching!

Kim said...

Love your Churn Dash quilt! The borders were a good idea. Your autumn season seems to be at the same stage as ours here in Minnesota. The squirrels are busy chopping the ends off of branches, again! 😂

Florida Farm Girl said...

Those dots added to the sashing really adds some zing to the quilt. Good choice.

Jennifer said...

A double win - you completed a challenge, and another UFO is off the shelf and onto the bed! Your colours are certainly changing....we have had a return to winter, only 1 deg last night.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

That is a stunning finish in a beautiful setting there with the hubby. And the quilting is to die for. You are such a wonderful quilter!

cityquilter grace said...

congrats for the finish! it is lovely and the name is just perfect!

Vicki W said...

Your quilt is beautiful!

loulee said...

An amazing finish.