Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Postcard From Sweden

"Well .... I ended up with another April binding challenge finish after all!  My LAer got my latest three quilts done and they were picked up on Tuesday last week.  There was a hurry to get this quilt finished because a young person is going to be receiving it as a 10th birthday gift.  I just know there will be lots of squealing going on when she opens her gift bag.

On Saturday night, there was a zoom meeting with Chookyblue and this was my project to try and finish before midnight ..... and I did it!   Go and read her post about the zoom and the number of quilts she has done and is getting done.  I pushed, cajoled, hinted and Chooky took up the challenge and ..... well, go read.

A close-up photo of some of my fabrics used.  Different sizes of polka dots along with solids.  This quilt is nice and bright and cheery for the young at heart.
Opening the gift.  She knew it was a quilt as soon as she saw the backing fabric.
Then she said "there is a square .... there is a square" (a label) and proceeded to read out loud what was written on the label.  We laughed when she said it even came with instructions.  All my quilts have washing and drying instructions written on the labels, so that all who has one of my quilts will know how to care for them.  She asked if her quilt would be appearing on my blog.  Oh yes, it will and she will be able to see herself in a blog book at some point.
This is the first time we have had family in our home for supper in 2-1/2 yrs.  It was a good time and a great get-together.  We have had family gatherings but outside during covid.  We would only attend those gatherings.  We decided to have the supper in our home since everyone (except my BIL) has had covid recently and all have recovered.

Quilt details:
Pattern:                 Postcard From Sweden by Kelly Liddell    
                             Hosted QAL by:  https://www.mmmquilts.com/2022/01/
Started:                 February 16, 2022
Top Finished:       March 13, 2022
Quilt Finished:      April 30, 2022
Block size:           5" HST finished
Size:                     56-3/4" x 77-1/4" (top size before quilting, washing and drying:  60-1/2" x 80-1/4")
Batting:                 Hobbs poly on a roll
Machine quilted:   Kathy Wareham using "The Milky Way" design by Christy Dillon of My Creative                                  Stitches.

My count of quilts to bind is at 12 now.

So, is there anyone else who needs to be pushed, cajoled, hinted at to take up the challenge too?  So far, I've got no-blog Mary and Chooky getting their quilts finished.  Join in the fun and get those quilts finished.    A friend told me that to put binding on a quilt is like getting a hug from your quilt as a thank-you for being finished.  Smart words, don't you think?  Oh, and don't forget labels.  They are important too! 

Now ..... well, I'm good at getting others to finish quilts ..... I need to push, cajole and hint to .... ME .... to get a few more UFO's done.  That person (me) can be so swayed to doing other things instead.   You know, squirrels come to play and they sure provide a good distraction!

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

8 comments:

julieQ said...

I have one to bind, so that is my challenge for May!!!

Beth French said...

Oh, that look of surprise and joy, captured at the perfect moment. Makes all the effort worthwhile right there! Beautiful.

Kim said...

The photo of the joy of the girl is priceless! A beautiful quilt exploding with gorgeous fabrics and colour. The perfect celebration; the unveiling of what will be a most treasured quilt and a long overdue family celebration.

loulee said...

After a success like that surely you are encouraged to continue.
That young lady looks to be incredibly excited to receive her birthday quilt.

Chookyblue...... said...

so pleased the quilt was a hit.......and the reaction as you predicted is just wonderful......and yes the push you gave worked and I finished another one last week and started the 8th one..........so one more of that pile to go and I picked up two big ones on the weekend from the quilter......hoping to get the binding on those today.........if not it will be this week. Got some jobs to do before it rains.......

dutchcomfort said...

Such a beautiful quilt and gift and so well received!

cityquilter grace said...

that is just plain gorgeous...and the blue border is perfect...drooling here...

Deb said...

Your niece is thrilled to bits I can't believe how big she has gotten it is the perfect quilt for her. I am so glad I keep up with the binding I can't imagine having to do one quilt a month just binding alone. I love doing binding, picking it out prepping it and then finishing it