Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Humble Christmas

One UFO is now a top!   Now that is good progress to start the year off.

Started way back in 2015 from a scrap box that I bought from a guild lady that was moving to Barrie.  Wendy, I know you read my blog.  This is what your scraps made and there are still more in the box!

I got stalled on the side borders.  Since it was my decision to add trees to the borders, I got a bit frustrated that my trees would just not add up to something decent looking .... so this project got binned .... for, oh four years.  Oh well, who's counting!  LOL
Since taking it out at the beginning of this year and putting it up on my design wall, I was determined to make it work somehow.  There was a bit of fudging to do with those two skinny trees that are side-by-side on the right side border, but finally that side border got done and now I can proceed with the other two borders.  If you look closely, you can see my paper tree foundations hanging on the two remaining borders.  That is where that tree had to go when completed.
Finally, this is now a top and I'm very pleased with the look!   It was gloomy outside when I took this photo and even with the lights on, my photo is still dark.  It truly is nice and bright and cheery.  Right now, my design wall on something on it, so I will have to go with this photo for now.  Oh well ....
You are probably wondering why this top is called Humble Christmas?  Take a close look at this photo below and see all the arrows pointing to block sections that were pieced to make the correct size needed.  Waste not, want not.  I was determined to use only scraps from Wendy's scrap box and I succeeded.   I'm wondering what in the world will people down the years think when they see this quilt?  Was she a lady that didn't have much money to spend on more fabric or did she really make errors on cutting her fabric and didn't want to spend any more on this project?  It will give someone pause to think about this, for sure!  It is giving me quite the chuckle when I look as I had forgotten how many pieces had to be sewn together.  When I took this photo, it reminded me that .... well, there are a lot!  LOL
Cross off one UFO from my list.  Only 34 more to go.
Have a great day!

Linking to:
http://www.esthersquiltblog.com/
http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Roseanne said...

Hi Rose Marie! What a fabulous quilt top. From the small thumbnail picture on Esther's website those trees around the border drew me in. I just had to see more. And I'm so very glad I did. I love that you did some skinny trees - that's how a forest looks. And that this whole quilt is from scraps?!! Marvelous. Free is what I always think when I can use scraps. Now, how are you going to quilt this? I do have to chuckle wondering what someone in the future would think, but you could put a label on it and that would certainly help them with their questions. ~smile~ Roseanne

eloidastitches said...

I couldn't tell you had poor lighting for these pictures. Looks very cheerful to me. Nice start to the year.

Kyle said...

Love how this Humble quilt turned out. The tree border is great and adds so much interest to those simple blocks. You rallied to the challenge of only using the scraps from the box.

Jenny said...

Doesn't it feel great to have something ticked off the list. Love those trees around the border, skinny ones and all. Just like a real forest I'd say.

Jennifer said...

Love......it has turned out beautifully! Just goes to show that one person's trash is another's treasure, doesn't it?