Wednesday, January 23, 2019

All churned up

Well, have I been busy or what!  It took me just nine days to make a brand new top.  Here is how it got started.

Browsing Pinterest is always interesting.  I have seen churn dash blocks done scrappy and since I'm drowning in scraps, what better way to get started and tackle some of them.  Notice I said 'some' because I'm still drowning in those scraps.  LOL

Anyway, here are a few of those churn dash blocks.  Then, I decided why not do some crazy blocks to be used as an alternative block?  They would use up even more scraps.  Now we're talking!  No sashing here.  Just by adding tan fabric strips around the crazy blocks makes it look like there is sashing.
Making progress.  Then the light bulb came on.  Why not make a border of scrappy strips?
Oh yes, that will use up even more scraps.  Out came my 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" strips.
Getting there.  Only one more border to assemble.
Now, working the scraps is a very messy job.  I'm not kidding when I say 'messy'.  But is it worth it?
Oh yes!  Here is my top .... all done.  Only took nine days.  Whew, I think that is a record for me.  The top size is 58-1/4" x 82-1/2".  I'll be working those scraps again on another new top.  No pattern yet, but something will come to me.
A closer look at some of the blocks.  For the crazy patch blocks, I used my EQ7 program and printed out some paper piecing blocks.  This did take extra work to make them, but the look is very satisfying.  The crazy block size is 8-1/2" x 8-1/2" and a 2-1/2" border was added on all sides to bring the size to 12" finished.  That is the same size as the churn dash blocks.

This is the backing fabric that will be used.  Nice and colourful to go with the top.
I can't leave today without talking about our snow and our weather.  It has been brutally cold.  One night it got down to -33C (-27.4F) and with the wind chill it was -48C (-54.4F).  Extra blankets were pulled out that night.  What about the snow?  This ruler shows 14" of snow and that is the third time that my husband has snow blowed our back patio.
So much snow.  The snow banks along the city streets are high and it is difficult to see oncoming traffic when turning left or right to get onto another street.
The weather is going to warm up a bit and another snow storm is expected.  Oh my word ... where are we going to put the snow?  We may have to seriously think about taking some of the snow from our roof.

Have a great day.

Linking to:  http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

dortha said...

I love your quilt top. I think I would like a crazy quilt block paper pieced. I just can’t get the hang of it by just sewing scraps together. But you are right scraps are messy.

Jennifer said...

That's a great way to use scraps! We just can't begin to imagine how that cold must feel, it's so different to our climate - but at least we don't have to contend with snowbanks.

Sharon said...

Fabulous. I'm glad I'm not the only one who creates a mess when sewing with scraps. What a fun top!