Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Not much

I've been sidetracked with a cold this past week .... so not much got done.  Last Thursday, DH and I went out for lunch to celebrate my birthday.  Later that afternoon, my throat was sore and by that evening, that was it for me.  Fever and stuffed up sinus and chest and that was the way it was for about four days.

Friday afternoon, while watching the weather station on t.v. for severe storm updates, had me reaching for my phone to call my elderly aunt in Gatineau, Quebec because there was a report of a tornado touching down.  "Are you O.K.?", I croaked.  "Yes, we are still under a tornado warning but we just had a really bad storm."  "No, Aunt, you just had a tornado because that is what I'm hearing on the t.v. here."  They were fine, but she reminded me to take some Tylenol to help reduce my fever.  Too funny.  I was concerned about her and my cousin (they are in their 80's and live together) and here she was dispensing medical advise to me.   My sister phoned a few days later and that was when we learned that the tornado stopped just three blocks away from their senior apartment complex.  No wonder they had a really bad storm and their apartment faces the direction the tornado was travelling.  Things could have gone to worse at any moment.  Someone was watching over them.  Still, it breaks my heart to see all the damage in Dunrobin, Gatineau and Ottawa.

For the weekend, I was down and out and dozing in my chair mostly.  This quilt that needs binding sewn down was pulled out and was worked on here and there.  It kept me warm and gave me something to do when I felt like doing something.  Three sides are done.  Whoo Hoo!
The leaves are starting to turn colour.  In fact, we have seen some trees around town with colour since August.  With such a dry summer, the colour display may not be as vibrant this year.  The nights are cool and daytime temps are hovering around the mid-teen's.  The fireplaces in our living room and t.v. have been on to help with the dampness and cool temps.
By Monday, I was starting to feel much better and was able to pick up a niece from school and bring her to her piano lesson.  Since my timing was going to get me to the school ultra early, a quick stop into a garden nursery just to browse away the extra time and found this delightful cat garden ornament.  It just had to come home with me.
Our garden has lots of statues and ornaments.  They give it a whimsy which we delight in.  Mind you, there is a time to call a halt to getting more.  Where did we get them all?  From purchases.  From gifts.  From hand-me-downs.  From downsizing.  From the garbage.  From everywhere.  Our hill garden is huge and the ornaments will be dispersed so that they don't look too grouped together.
Also, while at the garden nursery, this hummingbird feeder was bought as well as tulip bulbs.  The bulbs need to be planted soon and we will be looking forward to a lovely display next spring.
So, that was my week.  Not much got done .... but that will soon change as I'm now gearing up again.

I forgot to mention that last Tuesday, my friend Darlene and I did another trunk show at our day guild.  Again, lots of questions.  We have one more trunk show and an EPP workshop next month in Fergus, Ontario.  We are so excited.  Plus we found out that the workshop is full.  EPP is alive and kicking.  Whooo Hooo!

Have a great day!

Linking to: http://estheraliu.blogspot.com/ and http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

julieQ said...

So sorry you were sick...sounds yucky!! It is raining so hard here, but thankfully no tornadoes, which come quickly and without warning here in Texas. So glad God was watching your relative's apartment complex!!

Run 'n Stitch said...

Glad you're feeling better! Everyone needs some down time to recharge their batteries.

Jennifer said...

Good that you are feeling better.....a cold can make you so miserable, can't it. So pleased to hear that your family are all right, that was a very scary storm/tornado. Must have been quite frightening to live through. I like your new cat - not much chance of it shedding hair all over the place, is there! Looking forward to seeing your garden again, the photos of the neighbour's tree pop up on our computer from time to time.

eloidastitches said...

That was pretty wild weather last weekend! Your area really got hit hard. We were far enough away, that we only had to deal a lot of downed branches. Glad you and your family were safe, and glad that you are on the mend.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Rose Marie, the tornadoes missed us here outside Carleton Place but it was so scary to see the damage they caused. Meanwhile glad you are feeling better and getting back to things. Happy Stitching