Friday, May 8, 2009

Much going on

I can do bright …

While I’m making my 9 patch blocks for the challenge in my previous post, another batch is being made out of bright fabrics that were in my stash. These blocks will be made into a quilt and will be sent to Italy for the children of Abruzzo. So much was lost in their devastating earthquake. If you are interested, you can email Roberta for more information at roberta.sperandio@alice.it I’ve sent blocks and a top to Australia and I can do the same for Italy.

My 9 patch blocks are so easy to do (with many thanks to Bonnie Hunter’s system). I had a bunch of 3-1/2” blocks all ready cut out. All I have to do is just sit and sew. So fast ……..
In the evenings, I have been quilting my Dresden Plates. There are only 3 more plates to do. Most evenings that is what you will see me doing …. that is if Ashes and Hank allow me. They each want to take turns on my lap for a cuddle and a snooze. Now you know why I got my hexagon quilt done up so fast.

….. and in my garden, I have ONE trillium. A beautiful red trillium. What a surprise. It takes between 7 to 10 years before they bloom and that is about the time it and others were planted. This is the only one to survive. If you want to see more trilliums, go to this post.
Have a great day!

13 comments:

Mary_kay C. said...

Beautiful flower! Where did you get them from? Trilliums grow like crazy near my sister's in Northern Michigan but I haven't seen any here in Windsor area except at Point Pelee. I've always wanted to do a garden of plants that are indigenous to Ontario.

~Bren~ said...

I LOVE your dresden plate. The nine patches are great too.
I am having an awful time with this red/silver thing for my MIL. Remember you sent me the pattern for the quilt I wanted to make her? It is not going to work with those color choices. I am thinking of a whie background with some silver running through it and then a red fabric. Now I need to figure out the right pattern. Any ideas?? Red and silver!!?? Yeesh!

MARCIE said...

I have never seen that color Trillium. It is gorgeous! Wow-you are a patient one to wait 7 years for a bloom! No wonder you don't mind stitching hexagons!

Janet said...

I've never seen a trillium, what colours! The dresden is looking wonderful and it's good to work outside the usual colours, very refreshing.

Birdydownunder said...

wonderful photos... I think Cats have a middle name of Quilts.:) Keep safe and well.

Jennifer said...

Good to see Ashes helping! That trillium is superb, I have never seen one, I don;t think they grow in Oz.

Kiera-Oona said...

Thats cool! I dont think i have EVER seen a trillium that dark before. The ones Ive seen up in Cambridge are a lightish purple.

Btw, I would like to note that up here for those who are in OZ or Michigan...Dont ever pick a trillium up here in Ontario. The fine is extremely steep since it is our provincial flower.

Cathi said...

I've never seen that colour trillium either. Lovely!
Kitties and quilts are a combination that one can't avoid! They're smart and know where the warmest comfy spot is!

Unknown said...

Are you going to have heart blocks together with the 9-patches?

Lurline said...

Your blog is just great, Rose Marie - thought I would pop over for a little visit! Love your kitty cats!
Hugs - Lurline♥

*karendianne. said...

Love the Dresden Plates! The trillium is amazing. I didn't realize they took soooo log to bloom, too. Wow.

Of course you know I'm so happy to see a cat-amous in the photo. They're cute and bad at the same time!!!

scraphappy said...

What lovely bright colors. I'm sure your quilt will bring a lot of joy to an earthquake victim.

julieQ said...

What a gorgeous flower! Your nine patches are shaping up so pretty. And your dresden is wonderful.