Sunday, August 21, 2022

Lazy days of summer!

Not much quilting is going on in my life right now.  This is cottage time and my sister and I have been busy doing a bit of redo ...... painting and flooring.  It never ends, but we enjoy our work done so far.  I even cut down a wee tree by hand.  It took about half an hour of sawing, but it got down.  This little cedar tree was blocking my sister's view of part of the lake and she asked if 'we' could cut it down.  I knew what the 'we' entailed ..... me!  LOL

A few weeks ago, I attended a guild meeting and the project that night was making a quilt barn block.  This is my version .... a churn dash block!  How timely this project was as I'm in the middle of a challenge making a quilt with this block!

My real churn dash quilt has stalled.  Border fabrics have been purchased and I'm ready to go ..... just need time at home to do those borders.
A bit of binding on my August challenge has been done.  Just need another strip of binding to be sewn on and this can be completed before the end of this month.
Recently, we had a girl family outing to another city for shopping and I sat beside my young great-niece.  She was bundled up in this quilt that I gave her back in 2018.  As we rode along, I kept glancing at the fabrics used in her quilt.
This is the quilt that I made her.  Looking at it now, it wasn't my best design but she is using her quilt and that is all that matters.
Now, I need to chat about squirrels.  No,no,no .... not the quilting kind .... the real four-legged kind out in the wild.  LOL

At our cottage, we've noticed a lot of cedar seeds out on part of the lawn and on the deck and picnic table in front of our bunkie.  What is going on?  Then we figured out that a squirrel is drying up the seeds before storing them away for the winter. 


We haven't had much rain lately, and this part of the property is somewhat protected and gets lots of sun.  A perfect place to dry seeds.  There is another area out back on our road, there are seeds drying there too.  The thing is, this is the first time that we have seen this happen.  I wonder what the signs are for our upcoming winter?

A few nights ago (around 10:00 p.m.), my sister and I were sitting in our cottage reading ..... when suddenly out of the corner of my eye ..... a mouse quietly went past my legs and under the sofa.  Oh crap!  It had to go outside fast!  As a team, we got brooms and pounded on the sofa and finally got the mouse out onto the screened-in porch.   The door to the cottage got quickly slammed shut.  Now what?   We pounded on the door and then very quickly ran out into the porch and slammed the door again.  It was not going back inside!   Again, as a team we systematically pounded with the brooms and finally got the mouse out of the porch.  Phew .... that was a good deed done!  I wonder what the neighbours thought of the noise and the yelling?  At night, it is so quiet out there, but no one came knocking to see if we were ok.

Last week, we lost a BIL to Covid.  He was 92 and in poor health.  So, for those of you who think Covid is over ..... think again.  We still wear our masks and wash our hands.

So, that is what's happening in my life right now.

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love the barn quilt design......we saw several barn quilts on our last trip to Ontario but there was never anywhere to pull over for a pic. I remember your niece's quilt, she obviously likes it! Wish I could have watched you two (from a mouse-proof distance!) chase that little critter out! Sorry to hear about your BIL.

Chookyblue...... said...

did you kill the mouse.........you know they get thru the smallest of gaps???
dumb question what do cedar seeds look like? you'll get back to quilting in no time.......enjoy the last of the cabin season.....well done on cutting the tree down........
I know to well covid is still about........so sorry to hear of your families loss.....sending big hugs

Kim said...

Great Cottage Adventures! And now I know what is making the bits of branches appear in my yard. I’m sorry to hear about your BIL passing due to Covid. Tom and I are still masked up, avoiding crowds, using hand sanitizer, etc. Monkeypox is up next so hand washing is very important. Hope you have a lovely autumn season at the cottage.

Kyle said...

Great colors for your barn quilt block. It's nice when you've gifted a quilt and you see it's still being loved. Hope the seed drying and the mouse inside aren't a sign of a long hard winter. Maybe we should be gathering more fabric.

cityquilter grace said...

sorry about your loss...we have gotten complacent about covid it's true....and oh that chevron quilt...love it!

Robin said...

Wish I had been a fly on the wall so I could have enjoyed the mouse-capade.
So sorry to hear about your BIL. We all need to still be vigilant.

dutchcomfort said...

Sorry for your Loss Rose Marie. Covid isn't over at all. I hear from people who get sick now, that they are sriously ill. Lovely story about the mouse!