Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Old ufo

I've been busy getting a top and backing ready for the LAer whom I will be visiting soon when I'm down in Toronto.  I'll be going to Toronto this coming weekend for my favourite quilt show at Black Creek Village.  My friend Debra is coming up with a trundle bed that she doesn't want anymore.  It is for our cottage.  In exchange, she got a lazy-boy chair from me last year.  A win-win for everyone.

This is the top!  I'm so much happier with this border now.
It has been a busy few weeks for me.  The fire situation at our cottage is over.  We've had a bit of rain and that is helping.  There are still fires out-of-control but they are not close to our cottage.   There was even an air quality advisory in effect for one day and we couldn't open our windows or patio doors to let in cooler air.  The smell was awful.

Where else have I done?  My sister and I did a weekend trip to Ottawa to visit an elderly aunt and elderly cousin.  While there, my aunt gave me a ring and my niece also received a ring.  She is passing on her jewellery now while she is still alive to tell us who owned the items.

Decades before, my aunt had given this ring to my Mom (her sister) which she wore (it was her birthstone) and when she died my aunt wanted it back.  So, now it has come full circle back to me.  This ring has to be over 100 yrs. old and it belonged to a great aunt and the ring fits my finger perfectly.  No resizing needed here.  It is so old-fashioned and it suits my personality to a T.  On the outside of the ring are tiny seed pearls.  One is missing.  Should I try to get a new one added or leave it as is?
While in Ottawa/Gatineau we visited this park:  https://www.quebecoriginal.com/en/listing/events/festivals-and-special-events/mosaiculture-gatineau-2018-377066123 for an interesting walk along sculptures.  We went early before it got too hot.

This is one of my favourite sculptures.  It was hard to choose from as there were so many.  Can you see the boat ... the whale ... the waves?
Now .... back to those ufo's.  This one got pulled off the shelf.  This project was last touched in 2012.  Time to work on this one again.  I used leftover hexagons from another quilt long ago finished.  It was my intention to make up my own embroidery design, but I came across something else that made my life easier.
This book by Deborah Kemball has a huge sheet of a gorgeous design already done for me, so I used that instead.  My top was placed on top of the design and a whole lot of tracing took place.  An old-fashioned blue was found for the embroidery.  Five skeins of DMC thread was purchased, but more will be needed .... for sure.  I'm just curious to see how much can get done using just one skein.
What else got worked on?  This top.  Just need outer borders.  This piece is stunning .... IMO!  It could also be a tad busy depending how you look at it.  This has been an absolute joy to work on.  More about this top later as there is some explaining to do about how this design came to be.
What else?  This quilt is now finished.  Photos will come soonish.
What else?  Oh, another root canal yesterday.  Normal for me. ☹️

So that is my update on happenings here.

Have a great day!

Linking to: http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/ and http://estheraliu.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Lovely pictures. I say, yes, get the seed pearl replaced if you have a reputable jeweler. I received a rather large opal in a similar setting. Aren't the antique pieces wonderful? Your quilts are beautiful.

eloidastitches said...

Enjoyed reading your chatty post, with all the pictures of your beautiful work. You've been Busy!! Enjoy the quilt show.

dortha said...

You are so right, that quilt is stunning.

Jennifer said...

Such a pretty ring......antique jewellery is beautiful. You have had a busy time doing enjoyable things......except for that root canal. Love the embroidery idea!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I like the improved border the other print seemed to clash with the piecing. What a beautiful ring and I suggest you at least look into what a jeweler can do to match a new pearl to the others. I really like the idea you had of using the embroidery adds so much interest and it's fun to embroider once in a while

Kyle said...

You've been having a lot going on. Sorry about the root canal, but now it's over. Your ring is lovely and has such special meaning. I'd probably get the pearl replaced if it didn't cost too much. The projects you've been working on are great. A wide variety of style and techniques. Keep enjoying your summer.

Dresden Quilter said...

Your quilts are so lovely and beautiful.

Julie Fukuda said...

I don't think I would have room for that many UFOs. I like the finished border ... and the design called out to me. Now I have begun making those blocks in black and white for my 3rd grandson's "Big-boy" quilt. I'm having a lot of fun with the pattern so may see it in color at a later date.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this article as it pointed out a bunch of interesting points and made me think a little bit differently about the issue. custom badges