Monday, April 9, 2007

Christmas Trees


What am I doing working on Christmas stuff now? This is part of a UFO Challenge with our Guild and am on a tight deadline for finishing by May.

I won these blocks back in December 2005. See, I did win some B.O.M. blocks at a Guild meeting. The block I made was also in this group, but it was used in another quilt, which will be shown to you sometime in the future. So, these four were a perfect number for a hanging.

There were some embellishments on the trees that were removed and which will be added back on once the quilt is finished. I am not a fan of quilting around embellishments and that is why they were removed. Sashings were added and a crazy strip border along with paper-pieced tree blocks in the outside corners.



That border was fun to do and my scrap bins of red and green have greatly reduced after doing this border. These bins have been sorted by colour and are used when I need just a small piece for appliqué. There are other bins for different size squares and strips and those will also be shown in future when I will do a tour of my studio.

So, this quilt hanging is next on my list for hand quilting and which I’ve started working on while waiting for my blue & green flower quilt to dry.

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Silverthimble said...

What a darling little wall hanging! Just think how far ahead you will be once Christmas comes! Good luck with the guild challenge of finishing your UFOs!

Unknown said...

Love the wall hanging, very cute, and my gosh are'nt you organised with your scraps? Perhaps you need to come an organise my scrap bin.....

atet said...

Ok, I'm depressed. Your scraps are more organized than portions of my stash. (most of it is neatly put away -- and then there are the drawers, we don't talk about them and I hope they don't ever take over the house). As someone who starts their Christmas shopping in June at the latest -- I love your wall hanging.

Danijela said...

It's a great idea to put the scraps together by colors! Perhaps I will use this for my scraps, too.
Your wallhanging is very cute! I think you're right to start now with Christmas-projects. I always want to do my projects "earlier" - but don't. So every year when Christmas knocks on my door, I feel very stressed with sewing just a little project in a very short time.

Luísa Silva said...

Good idea to finish now a Christmas quilt. We always think there is plenty of time and on the last minute we are on a hurry to put everything in order. Good organization indeed!
Lovely border.I'm waiting to see the trees full of embellishments.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely! Thanks fo your visit to my blog, I wll come back to yours as many times as I can!

comicbooklady said...

Christmas in May! sounds like fun! The scrappy border looks like presents all in a row waiting to be opened!

Amanda Jean said...

I loved seeing your scraps sorted by colors...I do that too, and I think it is just the best thing!!!

I just finished my first true scrap quilt a few months ago, and I love it. It has motivated to start more scrap quilts.