Saturday, June 25, 2011

School house tutorial

This has taken me a wee while to assemble and compose ... but here goes ... I'm not a pattern maker by trade and I've done my best to give your correct instructions. To make this school house block, here are your instructions.Fig.1 – draw a 12” x 12” square on a piece of paper (do not draw any seam allowances).
Fig.2 – shows some lines that have been drawn in and the measurements are shown below in Fig. 3.
Fig.3 – draw your lines according to the measurements shown.
Fig.4 – this is the section that we will be working on next.
Fig.5 – these are the templates for the window section (there will be measurements for a door for those that want a door instead of a window).
Fig.6 – the measurements below do not include any seam allowances.
A – ½” wide x 6” high B and C – 1-1/4” high x 5-1/2” wide D and E – 1-1/4” wide x 3-1/2 high F and H – ¾” wide x 3-1/2” high
G – 1-1/2” wide x 3-1/2” high
Fig.7 – shows the placement for the door
Fig.8 – the measurements below do not include any seam allowance. AA – ½” wide x 6” high BB – 1-3/4” high x 5-1/2” wide CC and EE – 1-3/4” wide x 4-1/4” high
DD – 2” wide x 4-1/4” high
Fig.9 – is the start of drawing in the roof section. Again there will be no seam allowances for this section. From the right hand side, measure in 2-5/8” and make a dot at that measurement. Using your ruler, draw a diagonal line connecting the dot at the top to the bottom on the right on side.
Fig.10 – From your 2-5/8” mark, measure 6” to the left and make another dot. Draw a diagonal line as per the drawing.
Fig.11 – After you have drawn in your diagonal line, make another diagonal line that is ½” wide as shown.
Fig.12 – Following the diagram, draw another diagonal line to complete the triangle. At the top of the triangle, it should measure 2-3/4” from the left side of your block
Fig.13 – This is the chimney section. From the point of the triangle at the top, draw a line straight up using your ruler to act as a guide to get a straight line. The width of each chimney will be 1” wide. Follow diagram to draw in your second chimney.
Fig.14 - This is how your block should look.
Fig.15 - I took a couple of photo copies of my roof section, added ¼” seam allowance all around each template and stuck them onto MacTac Contact paper. My templates are hardy and easy to use when cutting out on the fabric.
Now, for those special blocks that fit into the bottom right side of my houses, I used my EQ software and BlockBase that goes with it.
Here are a couple of links where you can make 6" x 6" (6-1/2" x 6-1/2" unfinished) blocks:
Cre8tive Quilter My next post will show you how to assemble the block.
Have a great day!

12 comments:

Karen said...

You did a very nice job of showing how to draw the schoolhouse block.

Teresa Rawson said...

This is such a cool project! I can't wait to see it all together. I love schoolhouse quilts anyway, but the addition of the pieced blocks makes this really special.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Mari, Tenerife (EspaƱa) said...

Thank you for your tutorial, you are a good teacher. See you soon... Mari

Jennifer said...

That's a good tutorial....well written, very clear and easy to follow. Well done!

hetty said...

That looks complicated. But thanks for writing it up. I am going to try it because I love your schoolhouse blocks!

Bia Cardeal said...

Hello! Thank you for sharing the instructions of the block. I loved this and would like your quilt to try to do one too. How has the quilt blocks in total?
I live in Brazil and I am a teacher of quilts.
A hug!

Beatriz Cardeal
Brazil

Teresa said...

Your blocks are just as cute as they can be and I love the red white and blue theme. You put a lot of effort and time into your tutorial and it shows! Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Barb said...

Wow!
great tutorial!

Myra said...

First time visitor here! A wonderful tute, awesome blocks! Gorgeous quilts on your blog! 8-)

Ineke Original said...

Fantastic!

Myricoud said...

Hello,
I use the Google translator to comment on your blog, (I do not speak English)
I am interested to make your tutorial "school house tutorial" and you ask permission to use it for a group of quilters, I would see a link to your blog to direct quilters.
I give you permission?
friendly

Myricoud http://myricoudpatch.over-blog.com

Unknown said...

nice blog
buy sarees online india| designer wedding sarees| sarees online usa| sarees online usa free shipping