Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My storage system

This past summer, my studio was reorganized and two new shelving units were purchased. That left me with these two shelves to rethink their role.

The shelf on the left has all of my UFO’s on them. The one on the right is for all new projects. It is so tempting to play with something new, but my goal is to finish one UFO then play.

What do you think of my cardboard bins? They were recycled from a grocery store. They are very sturdy, stack well, fit into the shelves very easily and hold all the stuff for a project that I’m working on. Best of all, they were FREE! :o)


These bins are great for pulling out, working on the project a bit and then putting back on the shelf for another rainy day. No struggling to gain access to my bins, that is what I like.

Overhead is my stash of blue fabrics, star fabrics, Xmas and plaids and stripes.

Have a great day!

10 comments:

Wendy said...

The cardboard bins look very useful for storing projects in progress. I have plastic bins with lids so that nothing can get lost. These will also stack nicely and are found in the scrapbooking area.

Ila K. said...

Thanks for sharing your system. "Free" is my favorite price! I like the box system, and I really like the little plastic containers within the tub... Are those the packages meat now comes in at the grocery store? I'm going to put my next ones through the dishwasher!

Leslie said...

Stacked and ready for action. In my hometown - Northern California -we're encouraged to bolt tall shelving to the wall to mitigate possible damage due to earthquakes. I dunno... being buried in fabric doesn't seem like a bad thing. =)

Joyce said...

Where did you get your shelves? I am currently looking for some kind of shelves and those look like what I need. I like plastic bins so I can see what is inside but the cost does add up.

marisa said...

you have done a good job, it seems me all in order.Ciao

loulee said...

(Sob) I want more space. I want a Loulee room.
I'm so jealous seeing all you girls playing with your stash and re arranging things.

Nancy said...

Free is a great price! I like the cardboard flats for some of your things - a good way to lay out blocks. I just got a few clean large pizza boxes from Pizza Hut to put some project in - they might be more useful if I cut them apart so they were 2 instead of 1. I recently re-arranged my sewing/guest room and now I can find EVERYTHING for quilting and cross-stitching - it is great! Here are my pictures of it - http://mamanance.info/quilting/index.htm#room You'll notice that there is no machine there - it is upstairs in the dining room! Someday when I have just a Nancy room it could all be together with a cutting area, etc, and no bed! But at least I can see the bed now so that is a definite improvement - you'll notice that there is no "before" picture! Thanks for sharing your space with us.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I like FREE too! I need to reorganize my recent shop Hop purchases and my stash so that I can see what I have at a glance. Those bins look really handy and I may need to see what I can get from work. I wonder if paper box lids would work as well....

Floss said...

Like the free box idea. I need to organize my stash and am on the look out for good ideas.

Unknown said...

This seems to be very organized.