Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Design Wall



At one end of my studio, there are sliding doors and this is where my design wall is. This is a piece of batting that is just clipped to the metal strip that houses the mechanism for the sliding doors. When I need to get into the closet, or if I need to take my design someplace, I can just unclip the batting and do whatever is needed.

The clips are various office varieties that are sturdy enough to hold a bit of weight. I simply used whatever we had on hand.

All those blocks hanging up are my orphan blocks. I’m starting to see a flow or theme with what is there. Maybe they will be made up, after all.






This is my cutting and sewing area.
Have a great day!

8 comments:

corry said...

Great idea to make your own design wall this way! I love the orphan blocks, they would make a fantastic quilt!

Jen said...

My design wall is somewhat similar to yours. I have 4 binder clips above my pantry door that I can clip a flannel backed table cloth to. If I need to put it up, I put it up, if I need it to go with me, I can roll it up and go.

I'll probably move the binder clips to my sewing room once I get moved in but I'm planning on putting them above the sliding closet door so I can do the same thing.

I'm not a big design wall user. I've used my set up 2 times in 9 years. Most recently for the Bargello. But it's there if I need it. If I'm doing something smaller, then I just pin stuff to one of the quilts hanging on one of my quilt racks!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the idea. I have a Block Butler, but have been very disappointed in the way it holds blocks - it doesn't hold them up very well at all. And you can't really put pins in it without them going thru to the wall. I'm thinking of just getting a big bulletin board and covering it with batting.

~Bren~ said...

Great sewing area. Your orphan blocks all look good together!

Teodo said...

Oh.......beautiful your studio and your orphan blocks too.
ciao ciao

Unknown said...

Your sewing room seems to be rather big. I know you would laugh if you saw mine :)

Blanca said...

You are a beautiful "office". The block butler is good!

Not Lucy said...

Your orphan blocks seem to all go together nicely. It will be fun to see what you do with them.