Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Four Chevrons

This project is moving on nicely.  My goal is to try to finish a project instead of shelving it for long lengths of time.  OK .... you can get off the floor from laughing too much!  If anything, I'm good to provide you with your laugh for the day!  LOL

This is my fourth length all trimmed up and ready for final measuring.  Being careful not to stretch the bias edges, my piece is laid out on the floor using the blue tape as a guide for top and bottom and some weights (yellow discs) to keep the length from moving around.  My flooring is also being used as a guide to help keep the piece straight and not wonky.
At the top end, my ruler is used to mark where I need to make the cut.  This is so much easier than trying to measure with a tape measure.
There they are, all four lengths of chevrons.  The vines and leaves that you see are all sewn down.
 My last pile of strips are ready to go to make the final length.
Oops .... how did that machine get in the way?  It will be there for a while as the bedroom adjacent to my studio is getting insulation added to the outer walls and everything in there has been moved out and my studio is now a dumping ground.  So, I will have to find a new place to put my design wall for photo taking.
I have decided to put circles instead of leaves at the end of each vine.   Different circle sizes were auditioned, but this size seems to work the best.
See these rulers?  They are my most favourite rulers at the moment.  They are for cutting leaves but I saw a different idea for their use.  Vines.  The larger ruler was used for the layout of my vines and gosh, does it work really well.
A close-up of the name just in case you want to search them out too.
A few UFO's that need vines in the borders will be pulled out and marked up.  They were stalled because it was just too much work (and it made my head hurt with all the figuring and measuring and uggggh) to try and get the vines marked.  This will now make that job much easier and I will be able to finally get those UFO's done.  Happy dance time! LOL

Have a great day!

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh I love your strippy quilt--and thanks for the ruler name..I will have to get me one of those I think..;))) hugs, Julierose

julieQ said...

I love it, I love it!! Glorious!!

Anonymous said...

What a stunner! It is beautiful!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

That quilt looks great...

Leeanne said...

Just over from julieQ's blog........love what you are making!

Nancy said...

I was directed here by JulieQ. Oh, what a fun quilt. Lots of colors made better by the striped borders, the red stripes/strips, and the vines, flowers, and leaves. Perfect from every viewpoint!

Melody A. said...

it is a gorgeous project!! what great ideas. I am here from JulieQ's blog too. Fabulous work! take care from Iowa

Barb said...

love that red! great applique too.

Barb said...

How clever, love how you are using the strings.

Jeanne A. said...

Your braids are looking good - making lots of progress. Those are interesting looking rulers - have not seen them before - will have to have a look up close and personal.

Karen said...

If I were making the chevrons, they would probably end up a it wonky. Great sewing on them!

Misty said...

Wow, this quilt is going to be stunning! Those chevrons must take quite a while to sew together. I love the vines and flowers!