Friday, October 12, 2007

An Autumn Sky





There is something about leaves that just holds my fascination for them!

My inspiration for this quilt was a huge maple tree that was on our front lawn. Sad to say it was removed this summer as it was considered a hazardous tree (there was a 5ft. split right down the middle and you could see a bit of daylight through to the other side).

When we first moved into our home 25+ years ago this past September, we eagerly waited for fall to turn the leaves into a blazing colour. After all, this was a maple tree we were talking about here. To our dismay, it was not a sugar maple but a Norway maple and the leaves dropped with barely any colour on them. Any colour was a faint yellow, but mostly they were green leaves.

So, a number of years ago, I decided to design a branch of my wished for maple tree and it would have every colour of fall in that tree. Since I’m very fond of the maple block, I decided that my tree would use these blocks. I could have appliquéd on leaves to look more natural, but chose the block instead.

Spaced throughout the quilt, are quilted leaves. I think of them as ghost leaves to represent all the past leaves that have fallen over the years. Yes, there is quite a lot of hand quilting in this piece and well worth it, I think. :o)

Have a great day!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Rose-Marie this is beautiful so well done, the quilting is great. I have said it before I wish I was as good at quilting as you are.

~Bren~ said...

Unbelievable! Your quilts are all so stunning. I am so inspired by you!!!

dot said...

This si one beautiful quilt. I just love it. The quilting is so intriging. When you tire of it my door is open.

Paula, the quilter said...

This is a very lovely quilt. I, too, like the maple leaf block.

Unknown said...

Wow this would have to be one of my favorites, of yours. When I first looked at it, I thought all the leaves had been appliqued. Just beautiful.

Gina said...

I absolutely love it and the hand quilting is exquisite.I have loads of japanese maples in my garden and the colours this year are fantastic.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

I so love that quilt! If I ever get good enough at quilting I hope to make something like your quilt. It's a great one for tree lovers.

~Niki~ said...

Lovely quilts! I love maple leaves. And the quilt is great

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful. Just like the real thing! You are an artist in quilting.

loulee said...

I love your maple leaves. Your quilt is beautiful. Like Bren, I really am inspired by you.

May Kristin said...

Oh, this quilt is beautiful! The colours, the airy feeling, and the quilting! You are so talented!

Anne Ida said...

What a beautiful quilt, Rose-Marie! It really captures the feeling of autumn! I love maples - in quilts and in nature :o) And your quilting is wonderful!

corry said...

What a beautiful quilt! You are a fantastic quilter!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is wonderful! I love how you mixed the applique branches with the pieced leaves! The trunk and branches are so lifelike!

Nancy said...

This quilt is so beautiful and creative. The hand quilting is very good, and the idea of the "ghost" leaves is a wonderfully unique idea. Thanks so much for sharing these great pictures!

Amanda Jean said...

that quilt is beautiful! truly a work of art.

atet said...

That quilt is simply stunning! I love the way the blocks work against the blue "sky" and the quilting! Oh my!

MARCIE said...

I love the maple leaf block. What a beautiful quilt you have made. And all your quilting is wonderful!

ForestJane said...

I love your leaves - I've done one leaf quilt so far, but plan on doing a king sized one someday, with all sorts of shades of autumn colors and all the pieced and applique leaf blocks I can find.

Not Lucy said...

This quilt is so awesome. I am also drawn to the maple leaf block but I have yet to do something with it. This quilt is an inspiration!