Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sharp ruler

So ... is this ruler worth the money I paid and does the ruler live up to its' claim? Are you interested in finding out? Read on .... So far, my findings (based on two sharpened blades) are as follows:

How can this ruler sharpen my blade? On one edge of the ruler, there is a diamond carbide edge (that is embeded into the plastic edge) that sharpens the rotary blade as you cut your fabric. As the rotary cutter moves along the special edge, you can hear the blade and the edge grinding so you know that you are doing it correctly.

I could see an improvement with my blade each time the ruler was used.

Once the blade was sharpened, the ruler was stored away and I started using my regular ruler again. My plan is to keep this ruler only for sharpening my blades. As with everything else, the diamond carbide edge will eventually wear away. I bought this 6-1/2" x 6-1/2" ruler since that is the size that I use a lot for cutting my fabric. Also, this size was a lot cheaper than buying the larger size rulers and I didn't want to pay lots for a ruler that didn't work.

In order to ensure that the full blade got sharpened (this is because I bought the smaller ruler), the ruler was placed on the fabric and without lifting the rotary cutter, the ruler was moved along the width of the fabric so that the blade was sharpened all around the circumference. You do have to remember to dismantle your cutter and turn your blade over so that both edges are sharpened. You also have to remember to use the side of the ruler that has the special edge. A couple of times ... I forgot. :o)Let's face it, a new blade is sharp and there is no way to match up to that with any sharpener that you buy. Even though my blade has been sharpened, I do have to apply a bit of pressure while cutting with any ruler (this new one and my regular rulers).

Will this ruler sharpener take out nicks? My blades had small nicks and they were removed. Large ones, I doubt it.

Once my blade starts to dull, I will take out my new ruler and re-sharpen my blade again. At some point, a brand new blade will need to come out of storage and my old one will be scrapped.

I do have about 5 new blades still in their packages; but this new sharpener is easy to use and (for me) it was worth it to buy this new ruler.

BTW ..... I am not affliated with the manufacturing company and they are not paying me anything to give my opinion. There is a chance that my opinion will not agree with someone else. It is your decision if you want to purchase one of these rulers or not.

Have a great day!

19 comments:

Diana said...

I had seen these and wondered if they actually worked. Thanks for the info!

Jennifer said...

Haven't seen these here, but it will only be a matter of time until we do I'm sure!

free indeed said...

THanks for this review. Your idea of buying the small ruler and use just to sharpen blades is a good one...clever you! :)

Dolores said...

I always like it when someone has tried out a new product and remarks about it. Thanks. Sounds like a better buy than the platinum needle and the 1/4 inch circle that you can only use a mechanical pencil with. ;-)

Sherry said...

Well thanks for sharing this info with us all. I will have to look int getting one I thought it might work for those small nicks. Thanks again

Karen said...

Thanks for the unbiased opinion of the ruler. Sounds like a good idea. I will do some price comparisons on the rulers.

Sandra said...

Great post!

sandra :)

Teresa said...

Thanks for the feedback.

QuiltSue said...

That was interesting, thankyou.

Joyce said...

Now I want one. I have a drawer full of dull blades and a couple of sharpeners that don't really work.

*karendianne. said...

Ha. Very interesting how this works but more is your WISE way. Buying the smaller ruler for just this purpose and by the way... how did you know to switch the blade around so you were sharpening both sides? That was very wise as well. You're much like an Owl with all this wisdom. I love Owl's.

Donna said...

Hadn't seen that before - thanks!

So it's quilted jacket weather, and I'm happy. My old standby batted with Thermore feels so good. But so does the jacket in which I used flannel as a batting. Try that!

Raewyn said...

Wow, I haven't heard of a ruler like this before - thanks for the feedback on it, I'll have to keep an eye out for one over here.

Carrie P. said...

thanks for that info. I have wondered about the ruler and will probably invest in one and use it like you do.

Cathi said...

Great review -- the ruler sounds like it has a place in most quilters' ruler racks!

Kiera-Oona said...

Sounds interesting in principle but not so sure if will work in practice. I guess we will find out. I hope it does. Especially after knowing how tools are sharpened the old school way of using an oilstone.

Quiltgal said...

Thanks for your take on this new product!

hetty said...

Thanks for giving your opinion on this ruler. It is nice to read what others have experienced. I'll have to do a bit more thinking and price conparison before I get one.

Quilter Kathy said...

That was interesting to read...I have been wondering about these new rulers. Does the sharpening edge affect the accuracy of the measurement?