Friday, November 12, 2010

X stitcheries

Chookyblue is having a display of cross-stitch projects and invited others to join her. Here are just a few of my stitcheries.

A very long time ago, I used to do cross-stitch and needlepoint and crochet and knitting and a lot of clothes sewing. Those hobbies have taken a back seat now that I spend most of my time quilting.

This stitchery dates back to the 80's when orange and yellow/gold and browns were the colours that were very much in vogue. These were the colours of our living room furniture and dining room which I loved very much. Times have changed and those colours are very much gone from our furniture and our rooms ... but I still love them and looking at this stitchery brings back fond memories. These tree ornaments were made during the 90's. I had forgotten about them while routing through my stuff to see if there were any more stitcheries hanging around. I found a bag with another 6 of these gold frames as well as the pattern booklet. Guess I should have another go at making more of these ornaments.
I had forgotten about these X-stitch blocks and unearthed them while looking through bins. These are about 10 yrs. old and the time has come to do something about them too. I'm thinking of doing these blocks as a 'quilt as you go' project ... but will have to wait until the new year to do anything about them. Ummm ... I see another UFO in the making. :o) My SIL bought some blocks at the same time and she just finished her quilt this year.
There is another x-stitch pillow that I made ... but it is at our cottage and that is a 5-1/2 hr. drive away from here ... so it will be a no-show for this show and tell.
Next Saturday, I will show needlepoint stitcheries.
If you would like to see more cross-stitcheries .... visit Chookyblue's post and enjoy.
Have a great day!

20 comments:

julieQ said...

Love your work! I too have a cross stitching history...it was great fun...then I discovered quilting and it was all over.

Chookyblue...... said...

oh at my work I live with that orange.......you can tell how old my building is.........the bathrooms are bright orange from the tiles on the floors to the paint on the walls where the tiles stop.........
but yours is a lovely cross stitch.........funny isn't it how looking at something and thinking the when and when we did it can bring back such nice memories......
cute ornaments.......
looking forward to next weeks show......

Maria said...

Yes your orange cross stitch does bring back memories.Very nice.
Love your tree oraments.Maybe that is a good size to get back into the stitching. Like you I am now a quilter.

simplestitches said...

love those ornies...gorgeous!
cheers Julz

Julia said...

Wow Rose Marie, that first one really stands out..love the christmas ornies..
Julia ♥

Lynda said...

Lovely cross-stitches.

Chrissie said...

love the christmas decorations

suzitee said...

I,too,love the Christmas ornaments. Seeing all these beautiful cross-stitches is inspiring me to get back into it!

gracie said...

thank you for sharing...

loulee said...

LOve those Christmas ornies.

Leanne said...

It certainly is a bright cross stitch perfect for that era. I'm glad it has fond memories attached to it.

Joolz said...

Hi Marie

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I have lots of those Christmas decoration x-stitches too! I am going to display them next Saturday. Mine were also stitched in 1990, just before my first daughter was born (I had time on my hands!). They have been on my Christmas tree every year since. I also like your white/blue squares - yes, they would make nice quilt blocks. Nice to meet you,

Cheers - Joolz

Pip said...

Thanks for sharing your work. I quite like the orange one, it would make quite a nice quilt as well.

Cardygirl said...

Nice to share...I remember making ornaments like yours!

LuAnn said...

Love your stitcheries. My Christmas cross stitch ornaments are still packed away. I have the Blessings pattern, too. After seeing yours it makes me think I should get it out and work on it. Yours is great!!!

Ranch Wife said...

Oh, my - that brings back memories! I think a lot of us quilters are former cross-stitchers, including me! I really ought to dig some of that out. I enjoyed it so much. Your piecesd are lovely. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog - I'm looking forward to reading some of your past posts.

hetty said...

Love your little stitched Christmas ornaments. They look familiar. I think I have some of those somewhere too. Must find them!

Carrie P. said...

Oh, I remember the days when I did lots of cross stitch. I did enjoy it but now I have a new love.

Liz said...

I love the orange piece. Lovely colours. Sweet Christmas ornaments and keep us posted on the cross stitch quilt blocks. I would like to see those too. Please share the rest too am interested to see those as well.

Barb said...

pretty stitching!
I have some of those small Christmas ornaments and they are still some of my favorites.