Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Ugh .... log cabin blocks!

Progress has been made on getting this UFO going ..... but not without some problems.  Jack the Ripper had to come out and help me a number of times until I finally got the hang of sewing strips on in the right places.  Because this is an old UFO, my seam allowance had to be adjusted a few times ..... until finally, blocks were being made.  Then, being a tad smug because I thought I got a good rhythm going ..... oops ..... two blocks had to be fixed because one strip of fabric was sewn on wrong .... not once, but twice.  I sewed light strips onto the dark side.  Ugh!  No photo .... I was too ticked off with myself  and quickly fixed the errors.  All is well now.  No .... nope .... another block got messed up.  That one is fixed and done and I'm moving on.  

Only 8 blocks to go and then I can start working on the chevron borders and the applique.  Oh, forgot to show you the applique.  Circles and leaves.  I'm not going with the original layout (the darks were aligned to the center) ..... just got to do my own thing.  When I looked at the layout above with all that neutral area, it was just begging to have something in it .... well, that is when I started to play the 'what if' game.  See how just some circles and leaves make a huge difference.  Now, this layout has my mojo going to finish it soonish.


There will be three vertical strips of this chevron.  Lots of strips to be cut out!
Cherish your day, cherish your life!

7 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The applique in the neutral areas looks really nice! This quilt is going to be awesome! Happy stitching!

Jennifer said...

Log Cabin blocks have a certain potential for not going right, don't they!

searsportquilter said...

Wow - the flower really makes the block!

Kara Kwilts said...

Oooh! That is going to be lovely! I am excited to see the top finished. Was it really 2014 when you were working on the Kim Diehl quilt that you heavily modified? My how time flies. I really enjoy looking at your pictures. Your quilt hanging method really intrigues me too. :D Hugs, Kara

cityquilter grace said...

i like your ideas for this UFO...i confess i love log cabin but have equally problematic issues...i always chalked it up to being left handed...that's my story anyway...lol

loulee said...

They may have given you issues, but they turned out beautifully and I do like the additional touch added by the applique.

Florida Farm Girl said...

The applique is going to make this quilt into something really special. You may be inspiring me again, dear girl. I've caught up on a lot of projects and need to find some new ones so I'm prepared for my annual retreat coming up at the end of next month.