Saturday, September 30, 2017

Where, oh where

I'm still binding those 5 of 7 quilts that came back to me last month.  In doing so, I got to thinking where, oh where are these going to go?  I'm running out of storage space.

There are still 22 tops that need to be quilted.  Plus 30ish projects on the go.  Some will be gifted, some donated, but most will be staying here.  Some forward thinking needed to be done.

So, where are my quilts stored right now?

As well as on three beds here and two at the cottage, two more quilts can go on this ladder.
My mini quilts are in a basket
This wall in my dining room always has two hanging; plus a few in the basket in the corner (you can just barely see the basket).
On the opposite side in the dining room, another one hangs there.
My display cabinet can hold another big one or two small ones.
 The foyer always has a quilt hanging as well as one quilt or two on the railing.
This quilt hides (very cleverly) a baby chair and all the odds and ends required for eating.  Once that baby chair is no longer required, it will be stored away and a pile of quilts will sit there instead.
In the family T.V. room, another quilt could be squeezed into this basket.
 This basket in the corner could hold one or two more quilts.
So .... that is it.  No more display space.

I've been trolling Kijiji for a cabinet of some sort.  Something sturdy is needed.  One was found.

Next step was to tell DH my plan.  He was sitting outside enjoying the moment.  I sat down beside him and one look at my face told him that I was up to something.  "What is going on?" he asked.  I let out a big sigh and told him we needed a bigger house.  LOL  We don't need a bigger one, this one is big as it is.   So, I told him of my plan and he agreed that we needed something else to store quilts in.

Out we went to look at the bookcase and it is sturdy.  Way too heavy for us to take home.  We needed help.  The Kijiji man offered to deliver the bookcase to us.  We didn't barter the price.  If he was willing to deliver, that was a great deal.  Later that afternoon, the bookcase arrived and soon after, it got spray painted and Varathaned.  One more sanding and a coat of Varathane and it is ready to be moved and ready for my quilts.

This bookcase is huge.  86" high, 16" deep and 42" wide.  This bookcase will hold many quilts.
Here is the bookcase with just a few quilts.  I figure that it could hold at least 32 (8 quilts per shelf) big queen size quilts plus more if the quilts are smaller.  The bookcase still needs another coat of Varethane and a good sanding to ensure there are no rough spots for my quilts to rub against.
Another quilt added .....
Yep, I'm happy now.

When I mentioned to Garage Girl Darlene about my new bookcase and how it will hold 32 big quilts, the topic lead to how many tops to be quilted and how many UFOs did I have.  I mentioned that all these items were on a computer file.

So ... how many finished tops waiting to be quilted by a LAer or by me?  There are 24 in total so far.


How many UFOs are there?  How about 38?  There are a number that have never been talked about on my blog.  One day there will be a story about them.




Oh dear God, we will need a bigger house!

Have a great day!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

You could take over the garage......but DH may have something to say about that!

Raewyn said...

Great idea with the bookshelf, that will help ease congestion a little - and will give you time to come up with another idea for more storage.

QuiltGranma said...

Are you going to keep all your quilts, or have you shared... given away... any? Children, your siblings, their kids... friends, those in need? I only recently started following you so do not know what you've already done in this line. I have a "treasury" of seasonal quilts that trade places on the wall, on the antique treadle sewing machine, etc. One set per month. Things are not static at my house! Love the bookshelf! If I had one, I'd need glass doors to keep cats off!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your quilts look beautiful on that sturdy bookshelf. I often wonder how I am going to find space for another quilt too. I've started making smaller ones so they take less space.

Chookyblue...... said...

great shelf for the quilts...........just keep enjoying the process of making..........worry about where they will go later.......

شركة المثالية للتنظيف said...


شركة المثالية للتنظيف
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالدمام
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالخبر
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالجبيل
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالاحساء

شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالقطيف
شركة المثالية للنظافة
شركة المثالية الدولية للتنظيف
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بسيهات
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بجدة

شركة تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالقطيف
شركة صيانة مسابح بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالدمام

افضل خدمات شركة المثالية للتنظيف بجميع مدن ومحافظات المنطقة الشرقية بالمملكة العربية السعودية للتنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات والمقدمة بافضل جودة وارخص الاسعار حيث توفر شركة المثالية للتنظيف خصم 30% لجميع خدمات التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات وجلي البلاط اتصل الان واحصل علي خصومات شركة المثالية للتنظيف

Averyclaire said...

Your quilts are phenomenal! To have so many must be delightful. I saw an old post of yours from Sept 2010 for a quilt entitled "The Blessings." I was wondering if you still have that pattern and if you would be interested in selling it? I have looked for this pattern for a long time and am at the point of trying to make one without the pattern. Please let me know. Thank you!