Friday, September 8, 2017

Up for the Challenge

Now that my wall hanging is blocked and dried, here it is hanging in our dining room.
Now for the details of how this hanging came to be.

This was a night guild (Northern Lights Quilter's Guild) mystery challenge back in 2014.  I'm not good at mysteries.  I have to see everything before even starting to work on something.  So, month after month the challenges were given out and saved by me.  After 6 months, the challenge was over and I could finally start.  I knew what to do.

First month, we were given the challenge fabric (the fabric on the right hand side of photo) and the directions were to make a flower.  We were instructed to think outside the box.  Why not a yo-yo flower?  How about four flowers?  That works for me.  A bit of red behind the flowers gave them a bit of pop.
Notice all the red buttons?  They were saved from all the thrift store shirts that have been bought over time.  I knew they were destined for something.

Don't forget to notice the hand quilting.  First time red thread was used.  My thread is not quilting thread.  I use Coat's Button and Carpet thread.  It is thicker, but not as thick as perle cotton.

Next month was a heart.  Could I manage a yo-yo heart?  It would add to the theme.  The heart was a bit tricky, but it worked out.  Again, a bit of red behind the heart to make it sparkle.
Then an insect.  Nothing elaborate here.  Just fussy cut out a butterfly.  Three butterflies to be exact.
Another challenge fabric was given out and a bird to make.  Hard as I tried,  I couldn't fit a bird into my design.  Think outside the box, we were told.  So, I did.  Put the bird on my label.  :o)
 Then an object.  I know, how about a ribbon with the challenge fabric on it.  Works for me.
The final part to the challenge was to make a block, any block of our choice.  A churn dash block was my choice.  The size of this block was 24" x 24" finished and it would frame my flower bouquet perfectly in the centre.
To finish off the look, a bit of embroidery was added here and there along with red buttons.
Overall size is 36" x 36".
So, that is how my challenge quilt came to be.  Think outside the box.  I think I did!
Have a great day!

7 comments:

julieQ said...

I pronounce you the winner of the challenge!!! I just adore your quilt...your hand quilting adds to much...and love that yo-yo heart!!

Jennifer said...

That is so pretty, and it has such an interesting story! Love your new header, it's a wonderful bevy of quilts.

Julie Fukuda said...

I am glad to see there is someone else out there that tweaks the rules. Great results!

Karen H said...

You did a great job thinking outside the box! It’s a really pretty quilt.

Kat Scribner said...

It is so lovely. Just love the buttons too!!

Janet said...

Your wall hanging is a beauty! And you thought outside the box by doing it on your own time and terms. :)

Robbie said...

Darling quilt! Your details send it over the top! I'm glad I happened onto your cute blog. Best wishes!