Friday, April 3, 2015

My Kaleidoscope

Since my last post, my task was to continue working on my hand quilting and to finish up two quilts that were started.  I chose to finish my kaleidoscope quilt.

There were three borders left to do.  Then two.  Then one.  Suddenly, I was trimming the outer borders.  Wow .... that went quickly.
The binding was sewn on and then I was on a mission to get one side done and then another until it was all done.
Even my label was made and ready to be sewn on.
After washing and blocking ..... my quilt was done!  Oh, happy, happy days.
In the navy blue negative area, this is where you see my machine quilting.  A very tight meander.
A  close-up of my hand quilting.  One tip for you if you ever make a kaleidoscope quilt .... in the very centre, cut away a bit of the batting and the bulk of all those seams will sink into the hole and you won't have any puff up centre.  It worked for me.  Mind you, this is a wall hanging and that is why I did that.  When I run my hand on the backing, I can feel the centre poking through the hole. 

Finished size: 52" x 52-1/2"
Source:  Ricky Tims "Kool Kaleidoscope Quilts"
Quilting:  Both machine and hand quilting
 
Have a great day!

4 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Well done! love the way it turned out.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love this border! Do you applique the zig zags onto the border? Would love to see how you do this!

Vicki W said...

It turned out great and the bating tip is excellent. I hope I remember it when I need it!

Deb said...

wow that was really quick awesome work girl!! i just can`t keep up with you..LOL