Sunday, March 12, 2023

Circles is a top!

Yeah me!  I'm so pleased to have this top done.  Do you like my ombre look border?  I love it,  but it was a bit of a pain to do.  Those strips of fabrics were moved around again and again and sewn, ripped undone and resewn countless times.  It was so worth it in the end .... but ..... and I will leave it at that!  LOL

A line of stitching was done around the perimeter of the border to prevent seams popping open while at the LAer.
Notice that all my seams (except for the outer border seam) have been pressed open?  I'm starting to do this more and more.  If I do, my stitch length is reduced (that is why it was more difficult to rip out) to prevent any threads popping many years from now.  This top will need a real good pressing before going for machine quilting.  
So, why do I prefer to press open the seams?   For my quilts that I keep, I actually prefer the look once it has been machine quilted.  Also, with all the white background fabrics, there is an even look on all the seams because those white fabrics are sort of see-through and it would be noticeable to see some seams and no seams (because of being pressed to the darker fabric).   I'm just fussy .... and we can leave it at that too.  LOL

Onto the next project!

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

9 comments:

Kim said...

Circles is a triumph; and oh my, the ombre border is fabulous! It frames all the circles perfectly. Such a clever quilt you have imagined. I cannot wait to see how the LAer quilts it.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Another beautiful quilt! I LOVE it! I often press seams open too. The flat seams are a blessing as a hand quilter. It's your quilt, make it however you want to make it! Happy stitching!

dutchcomfort said...

It's a beautiful ombre border and I love all those circles!! Congratulations on a great quilt-top finish!

cityquilter grace said...

that is definitely a WOW quilt...

Vicki W said...

That is a stunning quilt! I love everything about it.

loulee said...

And a beautiful top it is too. I love the border.

Jennifer said...

Well done - the border sets the circles off beautifully! I have been pressing seams open for many years.

Kyle said...

Your quilt is absolutely stunning. The ombre border frames all those circles perfectly. I like your reasoning for pressing the seams open around the white squares. For a long time pressing seams open was taboo. Now it has swung back to being okay. It comes down to doing whatever works for you

Deb said...

Great idea for the ombre look saw that right away and to have it so evenly around the quilt is really a task wonderful design so perfectly framing those fabulous circles!
I am sure your longarmer appreciates your evenly opened seams too!