Thursday, October 21, 2021

Borders for Gingham Swirl

Now that all the blocks have been sewn together, it is time to deal with those interesting borders.

What fabrics to use, what fabrics to use?  That is my decision now.

I think for the first border, the darker red is a must.  Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the scroll meets up well in the corners but there may be a slight adjustment and I have allowed for that by having extra fabric at the ends of the scroll!  I'm also debating about circles as cornerstones in the blocks.

This past weekend, my Aunt and cousin were finally buried in Gatineau, Quebec.  My Aunt died January 2020 and my cousin died December 2020 (neither from Covid).  We couldn't bury them due to Covid along with the border to Quebec being closed off and on for the past year and a half.  

On Saturday, it poured buckets.  Rain was preferred to snow because my Aunt did not want to be buried in snow.  So much rain fell that our hotel lobby was flooded.  The rain eased enough that we were able to put their urns into the ground.  My sister and I lowered my Aunt's urn and since neither of us can kneel well, we stretched the strings on the bag that the urn was in as low as we could go.  Still, my Aunt landed with a little bump.  Oops, sorry Aunt Bette .... I didn't mean to do that to you!   We had the reception in a huge tent outside and we all wore masks (unless we were seated).   

So, that is the end of that chapter of their lives and for us too.  My Aunt was the last of my Mom's siblings.  We have our memories and photos of our time with them and that is so precious to us.

While in Gatineau/Ottawa, we ate out twice in restaurants.  We had to show our vaccination certificate showing that we had our two vaccine shots.  Standing we wore masks, but we could take them off when sitting.  Our tables were spaced out.  I still feel uncomfortable eating out, but knowing that everyone else there were double vaxxed, that is some comfort.

Our nice warm weather is coming to an end and snow is expected this weekend.  Snow ..... so soon?  The last of the plants that I want to overwinter for next year must be taken in today or they will turn to mush with the frost.

Our snow tires will be installed on our SUV next week.  Time to check out the snowblower as it looks like we will be getting a lot of snow this winter!

I'm working on getting bindings made for three quilts.  Having a quilt on my lap when the temperature dips will be most welcome!

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my......your trip sounds more adventurous than you needed it to be! Snow already, well yes - only ten days of October to go, and we have had snowy visits in October. Our last trip three years was the snowiest.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I’m loving your quilt—so fun watching it come together. We’ve been so spoiled by beautiful weather in Minnesota—not prepared for snow yet!

eloidastitches said...

Love the wiggly scroll applique for the border. If I might give my thoughts on the background for the borders, I actually really like the combination of the two reds and how the darker one doesn't totally meet up at the top and that it is off center. To me it adds a bit of extra whimsy and interest, not that this quilt needs anything extra, it is already totally gorgeous!

Chookyblue...... said...

Glad you were finally able to put your family to rest..... It's sure been a difficult few years......