Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Two quilts

I've been going through busy times of late and I don't seem to have much to talk about in the way of quilting.

Today, I do have something to say.

First off, I'm working on finishing two quilts.

This one is my "Antique Sampler" by Susan Daley.  This photo was taken in my friend's garage.  We met for a few hours last week and this is what was brought over to work on.   Binding is on, but it is not finished yet.  

Why not, you wonder?  Well ..... since I'm so fussy about my quilts, extra steps are taken to finish it off to my satisfaction.  Anything that is appliqued on my quilts (that are machine quilted) I like to add hand quilting to help anchor the applique.  So, I've been hand quilting around each circle and stitch-in-the-ditch around the motif inside the circle.  Yes, yes, yes, I'm crazy and obsessive.  That is me and they are my quilts, so I will do whatever I want to make me happy.

So, why didn't I just hand quilt the whole quilt?  Well, this top has been sitting on a shelf for years waiting for me to hand quilt it.  The way I look at it, my LAer does half the work for me and I do the other half and those tops are finally getting finished.  If I wasn't so obsessive, then she would do all the quilting and be done with it.
Next, binding is being hand sewn down on my quarter log cabin quilt.  No applique on this quilt, so it will be finished soon.   Photos of both finished quilts will be coming your way in the next wee while.  
Next .... yesterday, I presented a trunk show to a small number of ladies.  I wore my mask and some of the ladies wore theirs also.  It was odd to do a trunk show like this, but it was good to feel normal again .... except normal won't be for a while.  Our area has had only 40 cases of Covid-19 and only 1 death.  All the cases have been resolved.  The health experts have done a marvellous job of contact tracing and insisting on isolation for those who have been exposed.  We all have to be smart about this deadly virus and wear our masks and wash our hands and keep our distance.  Be smart about it!

Yesterday, I wore my patch autumn jacket to do the trunk show.  On my way there, I stopped off at a local coffee shop and the man serving me my coffee remarked on how much he liked my jacket.  Well, that was my chuckle for the day because I nearly didn't wear that jacket because it has been around for 12 years now and it is starting to get old.   So, guess what I'll be wearing today when I take my sister out for groceries?  Yep.

Well, time to get another suitcase opened up and pull out those quilts and refold them and put them away in the quilt storage cabinets. 

I wonder when another trunk show will be done?

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

5 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Antique Sampler is beautiful! If you want to add hand quilting to the quilt, go ahead, it is your quilt and you can do what you want to do. Your jacket is perfect for this season. Happy stitching!

Jennifer said...

Antique Sampler is lovely! You can do whatever you like with it - it's your quilt, after all. I recognise that jacket, every now and then a photo pops up on our computer taken on a cold day by the lake......it's such a cosy jacket.

Kyle said...

You're being realistic about finishing some of your quilts. I've had to rethink things too. Glad your area has been so proactive about the virus. It does make a difference.

Chookyblue...... said...

You have to quilt things as you want.... It's all about keeping yourself happy.......

Deb said...

Hey friend so great to see that Sue Daley quilt it may have sat on the shelf a few years but it didn’t are you long to make it so that would make up for it! Looks amazing what you are doing and those added touches are what make it your quilt! So glad you were able to get some stitching in. happy thanks giving!