Thursday, July 13, 2017

Orphan Block

Back in the spring at our day guild, the theme was a party and we were asked to bring in an orphan block in order to attend the party.  So, we did.  We lined up dutifully and handed in our blocks.  All of us thought that the blocks would be made into a donation quilt.  So we thought.

Lordy, we were tricked.

We got someone's else orphan block(s) in return and were told that we had to finish the block into something of our choice.  All items would be shown at the June meeting.

I got two blocks.  What to do with them.  I pondered for a week or so and finally DING the lightbulb went on.  On a day trip up north, I bought two stuffed toys.

The blocks were each backed with flannel and turned inside out (or birthed as some say).  A bit of top stitching to secure everything together.

Wrapped each bunny into the block and tied a knot and viola .... a wrapped bunny.  I told the lady that the blocks belonged to to donate the bunnies to Vicars.  She agreed.  What is Vicars?  When police go out to a call and children are involved, they get something to calm them down.  I think a little one will love the bunny and will keep them calm and amused while the police do their business.
Now, my block came back to me as a snap purse.  The kind that has strips of metal measuring tape to snap back in place when closing.  So cute.   It now holds all my hand quilting notions.  Perfect size.  Not too large and not too small.
The show and tell at the June meeting was awesome.  It was so interesting to see what others did with our orphan blocks.  I will never look at orphan blocks the same way again!

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

What an interesting idea......I love what you did with those blocks!

Julie Fukuda said...

What a great story! Maybe I need to check out my orphan block collection.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a fun idea! I love what you did with your blocks!

Linda H said...

I absolutely love your orphan block idea!! I'm going to dig out all of my orphans and get to work. There are some Beanie Babies in the basket next to my sewing machine that would love quilts of their own. The local Ronald McDonald House and the Mayo Clinic Children's Hospital always appreciate donations for their littlest patients. Thanks for sharing your ideas!!

Teresa said...

What a cool idea. Think I might try this at our annual retreat.

Anonymous said...

That border is going to be fantastic!



ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก