Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Happy Canada Day, eh!

On July 1, Canada will have another year of celebration ..... 149 years young.  My goal for the next year is to get these three tops quilted.  By me or a LAer.  Why?  Next year will mark 150 years of our country and I want to celebrate by having these three tops as quilts.  What a lovely goal that will be.
What else have I been up to?  For the last two months, my Split Apple Core has been feverishly worked on.  My studio was a total mess with scrap bins pulled out and scraps everywhere.  Now that the basting, etc.. has been almost done, the scraps have been put back in their bins and the studio is once again neat and tidy.

This is what the cores looked like at the beginning of June:
 Mid-June, the cores are at this stage:
You know, working on my cores, is like working on a jigsaw puzzle .... you just want to add one more piece ....
The empty spots are starting to fill in.  There was a definite need to stand back and move pieces around so that an even scrappy look was achieved.
Hours were spent working and working on this project until there were only a dozen more pieces to go.  Oh my, the urge to do another core and then another and pin them all in place was taking over my life.  Mind you, between my colds and my sore back, this has been a most welcome project to work on.

A few off cuts occurred.  Oops!  Darn, hate it when that happens.   These two will need to be redone. 

Don't my split apple cores look so lovely?
Now, the sewing together begins!!!!  The top right section is all sewn together.
This is the section I'm working on now.  This project is my summer take-along to the cottage and visiting.
I'm linking up to http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.ca/ to join other Canadian quilters this week.

 Happy summer days!

7 comments:

Laurel's Stitches said...

Oh my goodness, your apple core quilt is beautiful! I'm not sure I've seen one before... but seeing yours encourages me to try one myself!

Thank you for posting to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday!

Jennifer said...

I love your red and white quilts......they look so good on your patio! Split apple cores has been a good project, and isn't it good that it's getting closer to being done!

Margaret said...

I was so pleased to see your red and white quilts as I've been stuck on what to do to finish off mine. I think adding another type of block to the delectable mountain blocks will be exactly what I need! They're all lovely.

paulette said...

First off...your red and white quilts are magnificent!! WOW!! AND your apple cores are delicious! Love the way you are splitting them! I would have never thought of that! Well done!

hetty said...

Love your Canada Day tops! I should make myself one for next year. The apple cores are wonderful too. I love the way you have split them.

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

I very much like the colour selections in your red quilts. Delectable mountains has always been a favourite of mine, and I did it in red as well ( 96 different red prints!)

Jo said...

I love red and white quilts. Good luck getting them quilted. They will look stunning.