Saturday, May 15, 2010

Klosjes Saturday


Here are a few more klosjes that were made this week. They still have to be sewn onto background fabrics. My klosjes are coming along quite nicely . Borders will be the next thing to think about ....oh, decisions, decisions. Will my borders have applique or should they be pieced or just plain?

I've been asked the meaning and how to prounouce 'klosjes'.

Valentina covers this nicely. Directly from her blog, she says:

From Holland with Love... KLOSJES!

(pronounce 'Kloss' ( like Boss) that is a big Spool, and then add Shu (like 'sure' without the 'r') and add an 's'

So what are 'Klosjes'? It is the Dutch word for Little Spools. According to An Moonen, a Dutch Textile Historian who has written a lovely book about Traditional Dutch Quilts, Klosjes or Spool quilts are one of the oldest Dutch designs.


Do visit Valentina's blog, she does such lovely work and she has inspired many to make klosjes as well as Wednesday hexagon flowers (a new challenge that is going around right now).

Since I started making these klosjes and gave tutorials on how to make this version, a few other bloggers have tried making them too.

Teresa and Raewyn have tried them and Jen made a quilt top which I just love.

If anyone else has made this version, please let me know .... I would love to see what you've done.

So, if you want to have a go at making my klosjes version, visit here to see my tutorials on how to draft the templates and also to see the way I sew them together using English Paper Piecing (be sure to scroll down to catch both tutorials).

Have a great day, eh!

10 comments:

Karen said...

I was wondering if I would see any Klosjes this Saturday. You didn't disappoint me.

Raewyn said...

Great progress and looking awesome!! I find things so much easier to make when I know how to pronounce them!!

Cathi said...

I love your klosjes -- so different and so beautiful!

Julia said...

Beautiful I love how your making yours Rose Marie..It will be a beautiful quilt.
Julia ♥

Janet said...

The blocks are lovely and you're going so well on them.

Karen said...

I love your round klosjes Rose Marie!

Gisele said...

More of your gorgeous round klosjes, I do love this version!
Have a good week :)

*karendianne. said...

How very fun, pretty! I have some here but didn't post them. Hmmm. Well I didn't want to clog up the blogs. :)

Teresa said...

Sweet pile of klosjes full of inspiration.

Barb said...

Thanks for telling me the right pronunciation, I was wondering.
Yours look wonderful