Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Helpers Approve

Are my Helpers happy with the final layout? Ashes is so happy that she was just a blur giving me her ‘paw up’ approval
Hank is my resident critic. Here she is checking my corners to make sure they matched up. Jeesh, but she is a tough one to please!

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. There were a few comments that need a bit of explanation.

My corners ….. I had to bevel the corners like that …. it wasn’t in my original plan. The quilt is so large that the corners were dragging onto the carpet. I have done rounded corners before. This is the first time for beveled corners and I love the look of them.

Where do I baste my quilts? On the floor. I have tried doing basting on a table; but wasn’t happy with the result. I really need to re-consider this method as my body just ached after the quilt was all basted.

Those open white spaces and border? I have plans for those areas.

Have a great day!

9 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

I too often baste on the floor, but have found if I haul everything to my church and put large tables side by side I can stand and work! Much easier, though stil inconvenient... maybe that's why so many quilts stall out at the flimsy stage.... :-)

Brenda said...

Beautiful! You have done an amazing job.

Jeanne said...

I'd say you passed the inspection with loud meows! What would we do without our helpers? :)

Connie W said...

Pretty quilt. It's been so long since I've done hand quilting I can't remember how I basted; must have been on the floor. I never liked that task.

Guðrún said...

The floor method is really hard to your body.

Catherine said...

Your helpers are too cute! A quilt just isn't the same without a few kitty hairs, imo. ;-)
I found this basting tutorial for basting on a table on YouTubeand plan to give it a try the next time I've got something large to baste. I have heard from a couple of people that it works well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Bren said...

I can't wait to see what you do in those wide open spaces and border (that would be my favorite part to quilt)....I know it will be amazing!!!

Marilyn R said...

This is going to be a beautiful quilt! I love your beveled corners!

Kim said...

I do believe your kitty-cat critics have grown on you! Have you considered a quilting frame that doesn't require basting? I have one and it works like a dream.