Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cottage Days of Summer

On my last visit up north, my sister and I made our way to our family cottage and spent a couple days just relaxing and doing absolutely nothing except cater to ourselves.

For breakfast, we JUST had to make a batch of bush pancakes. This recipe came from my Dad’s side and we have enjoyed these pancakes ever since we were tots. These days, we make these just out here as the batter is cooked in cast iron fry pans and in a lot of shortening resulting in a lot of smoke. These are not your typical Auntie Jem pancakes, but very tasty to us. :o)

My sister made me chuckle by showing me six different recipes for these pancakes depending on the number of people eating. If my Mom wasn’t at the cottage to make them, we kept asking her for the recipe and then storing it on one of the shelves for future use. We would forget about the recipe and then ask Mom again and again and ..... When we paint the cupboards, the recipe will be written on the inside of one of the doors so that there is a permanent record.


So serene, no city noise, no electricity …. just a plain rustic cottage. This was taken just after sunrise before heading back to daily life.

Have a great day!

11 comments:

~Bren~ said...

Great idea to put the recipe right on the cupboard door. What a beautiful view.

Unknown said...

What beautiful surroundings, I'd want to be there as often as possible.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, this is cool... my grown-up kids still have their favorites and I stick things inside my cupboard doors. One friend made a recipe book for her kids with all her 'best yet, mom' recipes. Some of my mother's recipe books became mine, but my favorites had no recipes, only my memory of watching her make the best apple pies in the world.

Thanks for bringing back many memories!

dot said...

What a great idea. I do believe it just might add charm to the cabin also. Looks like you and your sister had a good time.

Unknown said...

This must have been a real quality time for you and your sister.

Chookyblue...... said...

can I come along......looks like a fab place to excape to......

Darling Jill Quilts said...

That's too funny about the recipe! And the view is gorgeous! Enjoy yourself!

atet said...

What a wonderful serene place to visit with such great memories!

Quilts And Pieces said...

That is a cute idea to put on the cupboard door! I had a good laugh at all the recipes!

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Beautiful pictures and story---

Quiltgal said...

What a beautiful view, It would a lovely pieceful place to sit and stitch. I am sure that you have been inspired.