Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Waves, be gone!


I never know until the final stitch goes in how my quilt really turns out and I absolutely dread it when my quilt does not lay flat but does the wave. In this case, the wave went completely around the quilt and I could not leave it as is. Heck, I don’t want the couple getting sea-sick just looking at their gift! :o)

But, it can be easily fixed and knitting yarn has been my buddy for a few years now. Blocking does help but it would not be enough for this quilt.
Why does it wave? Whenever my binding is cut on the straight-of-grain, I know for sure there is going to be a problem. Why? There is no stretch with the straight-of-grain. When my binding is cut either on the bias or cross-of-grain, there is never a problem as the binding can be slightly stretched when it is pinned on the quilt and once the binding is finally sewed on, the binding goes back to its’ original size and the quilt borders take shape and lay flat.

Next post, I’ll show you how I fix my binding to lay flat.

Today, I was invited to join a new mini-quilt swap at http://fourseasonsquiltswap.blogspot.com/. I think this will be such fun and my name will be added to the list. If you are interested, please take a peek to see what is involved with this swap.
Have a nice day!

4 comments:

Anne Ida said...

Knitting yarn??? You are making me curious! I really have to keep a close eye out for your next post *lol* Your quilt is so lovely!!! And I'm sure the couple who received it was very pleased!

I'm joining in the Four seasons Quilt swap, as well :o) Hope there will be lots of fun!

Take care!

Leigh said...

I love your quilt and I am very interested to know how you fixed the waves.

Thimbleanna said...

How fun to have found a new blog! The knitting yarn has me curious too!

Sølvis blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.