Friday, June 2, 2023

May and June Binding Challenge

Well ..... we had a slip in the challenge.

No-blog Mary decided she needed a break from everyday life and had a vacation in New Orleans instead.  You know, we all need that in our lives sometimes and how good it is to just up and go and enjoy life.

I had to laugh when she sent me this photo of her binding!  She said that she will work on this quilt for June but not pull anything else.  She also said that because they don't have a/c in their home and summers are hot and humid in Toronto, she might take a break from binding and work on ufo's instead during the summer months.  Heck, I'm OK with that ...... I don't want to pressure someone into doing something they just don't want to do.  What would the point be?  Friendship is far more important and so is the enjoyment of each day!

I have to admit that getting my quilt done for May was a challenge for me too.  With all the appointments for my hubby, it was hard to get into the groove to get the binding done.  Still, I managed with a day to spare.  Here is my quilt all washed and dried and crinkly.  More about this quilt on another post.  And, yes, I did go with scrappy binding and it was fun to do that.
So, what will I work on for June?  

My hexie quilt-as-you-go.  There are only 26 more blocks to do and then I can start sewing rows together and then I can have a finished quilt .... binding done individually on each hexie and hand quilted!  Once finished, this quilt will be twin sized.  
Last night, I chatted with my friend Debra  and I showed her my hexie project and mentioned how much I enjoyed the hand quilting on each piece.  Who knows what will be in store for me and hand quilting.  I have to say that this method of pot holder quilts is growing on me a lot.  Wendy at The Constant Quilter is a master of this method and she does such lovely and interesting quilts.

What else will I work on for June?  Some more spring cleaning and purging.   I have a bunch of stuff ready to be bagged and dropped off at the thrift stores.

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your May challenge quilt looks very nice. Taking time of from binding is a good idea, you'll be more motivated when you start again. Happy stitching!

Jennifer said...

Mary's idea of working on UFOs is a good one. Your red spotty quilt is finished well and truly in time for July 1st, pieced binding and all! Are you sewing those hexies together by hand?

cityquilter grace said...

this seems an easier way to do hexies to me...now that i got my hexie project done of course...LOL...i have a potholder style project in my future...

loulee said...

Your hexie project is growing beautifully. I'm very tempted to have a go myself.
Good idea for no blog Mary to have a break from binding in the warmer months and she is still working on UFOs, so still making progress and adding to the binding pile. LOL