Sunday, November 22, 2020

Wheels on the Cart!

Well ..... all the wheels/stars are done!  Whew, that was a job trying to select fabrics.  My friend, Darlene, asked me if it was designed to have a row of darker hour glass blocks above and below the wheel/stars?  Can you see those rows?  Oh yes, that was intentional!
Hour glass blocks are starting to be sewn together.    
Since there are so many seams, they are being pressed open.  Less bulk at the joins.
See the beige fabric in the wedge part of the wheel/star?  There is none left.  There are enough scraps to make a couple 1-1/2" squares, but that is it.  Close call, eh!
If I wanted the quilt to be larger, it couldn't without introducing a different beige fabric.  That would not be a problem, because I would make it work.  The quilt size will be big enough for a single bed.

Here is another wheel/star.  They were made using EPP (English Paper Piecing) method.  The thought crossed my mind to do them using paper piecing, but EPP is the method that was used instead.

Most of this top has been made from Civil War charm squares; but I did have to dip into my stash a few times to find the right colour that was not in my charms.  

This is what is left of my CW charms.  This drawer was so full that it could hardly be opened.  I'm thinking there might be enough charms to make a thimble quilt, so that will be a new project down the road.  That is, as soon as I find my Dresden Plate template to make the thimbles.  It is somewhere ....

To all my American friends, have a safe Thanksgiving!  We had our Thanksgiving last month and there was a spike in Covid-19 cases afterwards.  Be prepared to see a surge of spikes a few weeks from now.  In our district, we currently have 11 cases (10 from a close contact) of Covid-19.  So far, we have had a total of 65 cases with 1 death.  We take Covid-19 seriously in our neck of the woods!  Wear a mask, wash your hands, regularly wipe down surfaces (your vehicle and your home) and keep your distance.

Cherish your day, cherish your life!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is looking good - and yes, I can see the darker fabrics, they make the star panels show up better.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Another beautiful quilt. I know the covid numbers are going to shoot up more with all the traveling everyone is doing this week. We're staying home and staying safe. Happy stitching!

Kyle said...

Your creativity is rolling along! It's been fun following along.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks, I love your stars in circle!

eloidastitches said...

You are amazing!! You are just flying with this quilt top. You sure have a way with colour. Beautiful. I was glad to hear in the previous post, that your sister is doing so well. That is awesome!