Thursday, March 5, 2020

The rebel in me!

How many of you are doing Cassandra's Circle Free BOM?  I am and my first block is done.  36" square unfinished (read more below).  My stash of indigo Shweshwe fabric will be used in the process.  It was time to use this gorgeous fabric in a project.   This fabric was purchased years ago from https://meerkatshweshwe.com/ and if I need more, I will be giving Celeste a call.

The fabric is a wee bit heavier than normal but absolutely gorgeous to work with for applique.  Especially in those curves.  The fabric doesn't fray as usual and I'm asking myself why I didn't work with this fabric before instead of sitting in a bin on my shelf.

This is where the rebel in me showed up.  The plumes were to be placed in a spiral mode, but I decided to do it differently and reversed four of the plumes to face the other four.  Love it!  As more blocks are done, this block will be revisited and more things added to it.

Now, getting back to that 36" square unfinished.  It should be 36-1/2" unfinished.  What happened to that extra 1/2"?   When I cut out the white background fabric, an extra inch was added to the measurement and the fabric was ripped across the WOF.  My grain is not straight  and after squaring it up, my piece is not the full 36-1/2" that is needed and there is not enough extra fabric to redo!  Darn, darn, darn.   So ..... this is where my creative side will have to visit and do something to make that centre piece the correct size.  I will have to stew on that idea for a wee while.
This is how my block looks on the design wall.  Big.
The other project that has been worked on over the past few weeks, is putting another label onto my quilts that have won ribbons in any quilt show that they were in.

My friend Karin did a talk about this at guild and the appraiser also told me to do that as well.  The appraiser also said to put a label on any quilt that has been appraised and the value.  So that will be the next step to do.  This will be a good way for future generations to know that their quilt has some kind of value and to treat it kindly.
Cherish your day!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That label is a good idea! Wow - that is one big block, and the different arrangement of the plumes looks great. I love the touch of deep gold.

Kyle said...

Love those plumes in that fabulous fabric. Thanks for sharing the idea of adding a label with the appraised value on it. Not that I've had many appraised but Ill do it the two I have had done.

kathiquilts said...

Just loving those blues and the mustard color in the center is the perfect complement. And that rebel layout! It is simply gorgeous!
I have added it to a pinterest board so I can make one also! Thank you so much for sharing!

Maggie said...

The Shwe-shwe is wonderful fabric to work with,it is very important to wash it before using it, as it will allow the excess indigo dye and sizing to be removed. The more you wash it and use it, the softer it becomes. This fabric from South Africa is incredibly durable and long lasting. Your block looks absolutely beautiful.