Sunday, June 2, 2019

Lordie .... this is an oldie!

I'm going to be working on this old ufo once I'm home from my vacation.

Yesterday, my sister dropped off a top that she bought and needs adjustment to take on her trip with her youngest daughter and me.  She was coming over to drop off my plane tickets and pick up the other clothes that I altered.  She forgot to give me my tickets.  Silly woman!

Anyway on her way out my studio door, she saw this project on my design wall.  That's pretty, she said.

I told her it was going to be her quilt.  Remember, the one that was started ..... oh ..... 15 years ago?  It has been so long that she forgot all about it.  Wasn't that quilt for their 25th wedding anniversary, she asked?  Yep. 

This project was started Mar. 2004.  Over 15 years ago.  Time to get it done so that they can have it for their 40th wedding anniversary at the end of June.   Yes, I did notice one block that is pieced wrong and it has been taken out for fixing.  See if you can find it.
After getting the rest of the navy circles sewn onto the embroidery blocks, the blocks were all added to the design wall.  Now just the pieced blocks to cut out and complete.  Baby steps, baby steps!
A close-up of the embroidery and pieced block.  I'm so surprised that all the embroidery has been done.  That should have taken me forever to do and yet it is the pieced blocks (easy to do) dragged me down on this project.  Sadly, it got shelved for all these years ..... because ..... well, because I was on to more interesting work.  This is not a scrappy quilt and that is what I love to do more than anything else.

This hexie project will be my new summer take-along project.  Should it come with me on my trip to Costa Rica?  We may have some rainy days ahead and I might need more than a book to keep myself busy.  Showers are one thing, but a total rainy day ..... yes, this will keep me occupied.
This is what the whole layout will look like.  The diamonds will be made up as needed.  So, extra strips of the teal fabric will be coming along too.
This is what my roll looks like all tied up.
So, that is it for a couple of weeks.  Talk to you later.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Karen in Breezy Point said...

At least that block was on the outside edge and not much ripping was needed--lol! Love you hexies--they are beautiful!

eloidastitches said...

Beautiful projects. Looking forward to seeing their progress. Have a great time away.

Jennifer said...

Have a great time! Yay for me, I found the block which was turned wrong. It is a lovely quilt and will be a beautiful anniversary gift.