Sunday, January 20, 2019

Stitching slow today

It has been a few months since this project was last worked on.  Simple embroidery stitches.  I'm on a mission to try to work on this at the beginning and ending of each day in my studio.  Just a few minutes, just a few stitches will make all the difference in getting this wall hanging done.
You are probably wondering why are there safety pins here and there on my top?  There is batting behind.  No backing yet, just batting.  I prefer to do my embroidery with batting.  Call me silly, but that is what I prefer.

Isn't it bulky?  Well, yes it is.  How do I embroider with all that bulk?  I don't put my hand behind the hoop.  I just let the hoop sit on a pillow and embroider away.  The needle won't go all the way through the layers and catch the pillow fabric and I find that I'm not constantly moving my hoop.  It works for me.

Right now, I'm working on the center and the right at the same time.  That way, when I get to the bottom, both those sections will be done!
 This wall hanging will be hand quilted and already, I'm thinking of ideas on what my design will be.
It has been awfully cold here the last few days and having this on my lap is keeping me warm.  This morning, it was -28C (-18.4F) and much colder with the wind chill.

Have a great day!
Linking to: https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2019/01/hand-quilting.html

6 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh how marvellous! What a great idea to embroider with the batting behind!
And then when the embroidery is finished, do you add a backing and baste and quilt as usual??

julieQ said...

That is just exquisite....such a lovely work!! wow!

Jennifer said...

That's so pretty! I use a layer f iron-on interfacing behind my embroideries, stops the stitches and the loose ends showing through to the right side and gives the fabric body.

ThreadCatcher said...

That looks wonderful! I embroider with batting, no backing too. I may have to try iron on interfacing like Jennifer said when I want a firmer finish.

CathieJ said...

That wall-hanging is beautiful. I love the embroidery. I like the idea of working both the middle and the side so you won't have to go back to the top. I never embroidered with batting. That is a new idea for me. I want to walk in that pretty garden that the quilt brings to mind.
Stay warm.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love this idea of making the embroidery your quilting. Was this a pattern or something you just designed!