Saturday, January 17, 2015

EPP (English Paper Piecing)

From time-to-time, questions come to me about EPP (English Paper Piecing) and where do I get my patterns from and my templates.

Thank you, dear readers, for sending me your lovely comments and your questions.  The quilting world is abuzz with EPP and if you haven't thought about trying it out, now is your chance.

I got hooked .... plain and simple.

Pinterest is a great source.  When I find a pattern that appeals to me, I go to BlockBase computer software program available from Electric Quilt Company and start searching.  I do believe that BlockBase is a stand alone (please double check yourself) software program that does not need any EQ program on your computer.  You should be able to print out patterns any size that you want.  Since EQ7 is already downloaded on my computer, the BlockBase is a wonderful companion.

Apple Cores

This pattern has always been on my 'to-do' list for eons.  After making a false start, a friend directed me to Sue Daley and her method of doing apple cores.  Go here for a tutorial on how I do my cores and how to make templates and the link to Sue Daley's You tube demo.

Then, on Pinterest, I found this gorgeous split apple core pattern.  Can we say "yummm"?
For both my Apple Core projects, BlockBase came in handy for getting my templates.

While glancing through BlockBase for patterns and ideas, below are a few tops.

This one is known as Colonial Garden or Rose Star One Patch or Tumbling Hexagon (Brackman number 243).  Instead of making hexagons, I chose instead to make triangles and then sew the triangles together.  You can go here for a better explanation.
This one is called Ozard Cobblestone (Brackman Number Y007):
Oh Wonderful, Summer's Here (Brackman Number D046).  So happy that this top finally has a name instead of forever being referred to as D046.  :o)
If you are doing scrappy quilts, go here to read how my quilts have evolved using my method to control the scrappy look.

Spools

After making a small wall hanging using this spool pattern, the urge to make a queen size quilt was gnawing at me.  I was probably grinding my teeth at night just thinking about making this pattern again.  :o)

My Sweet Klosjes .... what a wonderful quilt this turned out to be.  This is a spool pattern that came from BlockBase and is #3571 (The Spool of 1966).


Hexagons and Stars

Here is my lovely Holyhocks in a Castle Garden quilt.  This reminds me of my trip to Great Britain and the gorgeous holyhock flowers.  The templates for the hexagons probably came from a magazine.

 The top below is not finished, but the hexagons were leftovers from the above quilt.
The idea for my Diamond Star below came from a blog that is no longer available.  I was inspired to make one too.   The template could either have come from BlockBase or from a magazine.


Granddaughter's Flower Garden

The source for the pattern came from here:  http://sewuniquecreations.blogspot.ca/2010/12/grand-daughters-flower-garden-quilt.html   Sadly, the PDF file is no longer available.  You can print the photo of the templates, clean them up and either reduce or increase to get the size you want.  Please note, the very long elongated hexagon had to be trimmed down a bit to fit.

For my quilt, the center layout of the hexagon block was changed around....of course!  :o)

Templates

I have always made my own templates.  There is a ton of scrap paper in boxes and bins in my studio and they do get used a lot.  Go here for an explanation of how my templates are made.  Scrap paper, stapler and paper scissors and your templates are made.  Simple as that.  In whatever size you want.
  
This has been a wonderful walk through memory lane of all of my EPP projects, tops and quilts.  You can be sure there will be more to come.  :o)

In scrolling through all my EPP projects, you can see how different each one is.  Don't get stuck doing just one type of EPP.  There are so many different types of EPP out there.  Explore and have fun.

In case any of you are wondering, I am not affiliated with BlockBase or Electric Quilt Company .... I just love their software programs.

I got hooked doing EPP by making a hexagon and I have never looked back.  So, go forth and make a hexagon .... I dare you to!

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well.......maybe I will, and maybe I won't......your projects are so lovely!

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I'm just putting the last stitches in La Passacaglia, and have most of my papers ready for a wall size version of Mrs. Billings. Hexies put me to sleep though :)

sandi s said...

I love your spool quilt. It is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt pics and information! Hugs,

QuiltSue said...

Hmm, seems like you maybe enjoy EPP then?

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Thank you for sharing all your beautiful projects--so inspirational!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I've never seen a split apple core. I like it. Guess I need to spend a little time on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing.