Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Scrappy Garden

With Xmas only a few weeks away, I need to start finishing up a few gifts.  They can't be shown right now .... but here is something new that I've been working on since the beginning of December:

The progress has been amazing.  Thanks to my stash, it has been a blast going through and pulling fabrics out of bins.
The more pieces got made and pinned onto my design wall, the more I wanted to just work on this project.

 Just a few more pieces to be added and then this will be 1/4 of the quilt (queen size).
Just one patch makes up this triangle.  It is known as Colonial Garden.  My quilt will be called "A Scrappy Garden".  To get a good flow of colour throughout, a dark, medium and light value fabrics are used for each triangle section.  Simple as that.
My triangle is made using the EPP (English Paper Piecing) method, but only three sides are sewn together by hand.
 Below are two triangles sewn together by machine with the seams pressed open.
This new project brings my EPP projects on the go to number three. My other projects are my Apple Core and Split Apple Core.  Oh joyful days are ahead for me!!

There will be a fourth EPP project ... but not just yet.  Have you seen this on:  http://faeriesandfibres.blogspot.ca/p/patterns.html.  Click onto
81 – The Giant Monstrosity by Karen H 2014 (just below the photo) and it will bring you to a link for her pattern that she has made for free.  To me, Karen is The Hexie Queen and she has offered tutorials on how to do different hexagons and stars!  You really need to check out her blog.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Recently I saw "The Giant Monstrosity" and thought of you - great minds must think alike! Somewhere in my magazines I have a quilt done using the same shape as yours, but the shapes are used to make flowers.

Julie Fukuda said...

I have never done this with paper piecing but since my dining room table is round used that design to make a tablecloth using fruit and vegetable prints. Nice to have a garden on the bed and food on the table.

Chookyblue...... said...

please don't tease me with another EPP shape............lol...........this is so tempting...........

Dolores said...

I noticed that you used dark, medium and light in each triangle before I read that part of your post. This can easily be done by machine - if one wished.

Ellen said...

Another beauty in the making!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love your triangles! I have the Monstrosity on my bucket list--it's so beautiful!