Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Quilt folding

After reading an article (Quilter’s Newsletter Magazine, December 2006 issue) on folding quilts on the bias, the information changed the way that my quilts are stored. To those who do not have access to this issue, here is how you can fold your quilts.

For this tutorial, I have taken a rectangle and a square quilt to show you how to fold each.

I think the arrows in each photo are self-explanatory. If anyone needs further instructions, please let me know and I will edit this post.





This new folding method is:
a) Better for my quilts overall.
b) Eliminates fold marks when my quilts are taken out of the closet and hung on the wall
c) More room in the closet for storing quilts. For some reason, the fullness is taken out of the bulk when folded and I actually can get more quilts on the shelf. Why? I don’t know but it is true.
Have a great day!

16 comments:

Donna said...

thanks for sharing this method! It looks like a great way of avoiding trapping so much air and setting wrinkles...

Barb said...

Thanks I will have to put that in my favorites....

Unknown said...

Excellent! It makes sense, thanks for sharing.

Carrie P. said...

Pretty cool. I try to refold my quilts every so often. Now I will try this method. Thanks.

*karendianne. said...

Ahhh, that's how it's done. Very intersting and useful. Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

I will have to try this.

Mary L. said...

I'd seen this before but forgotten about it. I've copied it to pdf and maybe I'll remember when I need it. Thanks for sharing.

limpingalong said...

I have two quilts that need to be folded -- thanks for sharing this information.

Anne Ida said...

Wow, this is an exelent tip! Thank you so much for sharing!

Kim said...

Hmm. I'll bookmark this idea. Thanks Rose Marie!

angelabe said...

Sei stata molto gentile. Grazie

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! What a helpful post!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I'll have to try that. Carrie at A Passion For Applique sent me.

Anonymous said...

this is great! I am printing it out to add to my binder. Thanks ti Field Trips in Fiber for sending me over!

Marilyn Robertson said...

I have heard of folding quilts on the bias but I never really understood how to do it. Thanks for the great demo!

Nancy said...

Thanks for this post - I will share it with my guild!