Wednesday, November 7, 2007
How did I do these leaves, you ask?
The fabric came from Fabricland (this is a Canadian chain store and they have their own fabric) and the leaves were fussy cut out leaving a seam allowance all around. The leaves were appliquéd onto the quilt (using needle turn method) after it was quilted; then buttonhole stitching (very close stitches) were applied by hand. In a few of the leaves, I changed the thread colour as I went around the leaf.
Just regular sewing thread and a very thin sewing needle was used (tried embroidery thread and was not happy with the look).
For the leaves on the tree branch, they were applied without being appliquéd on. The edges were trimmed down right to the leaf edge and just stitched in place with very close buttonhole stitching. I did not use any fusing on the back of the leaves and I really wasn’t too happy with the whole look of them so decided to change my method for the ones sent to Iceland.
Same leaves, two different versions for swap quilts.
There have been a number of suggestions to make the top quilt for my husband and that is exactly what I will be doing. It will be a twin to the one in Iceland.
Have a great day!