Monday, November 12, 2007

Just winging along

Well, I just have to say that this process is sure different than what I am used to and very rewarding at the same time. No templates …. OMG! Just free form cutting and sewing and those letters are harder than I thought. My first attempt at making the W ended in the garbage (but after parts of it was used for the R). The I has a snowflake button to complete the letter.

For the snow people, felt is being used with stuffing behind them and secured with buttonhole stitching. The little one looks cold, so it is going to get a mini quilt to wrap up in.

The icicles are just strips of fabric sewn on in an random order; but at the same time keeping in mind gravity and points to hang sort of straight down. I am using printer paper as a stabilizer for sewing the strips onto as there are a lot of bias edges with these icicles.

Anyway, it is a lot of fun working on this hanging and it is coming along quicker than first thought.

Thanks, Tonya, for tempting me to join in. :o) I have wanted to do something with letters for a long time now and this is a great opportunity for me to just ‘try’ it.

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Joyce said...

The letters do get easier as you do more of them. Just a warning, they are very addictive! I really like what you have done so far.

Finn said...

Congrats on joining that second class from Tonya. It is alot of fun and very inspiring! I know you'll have fun with it *VBS*
I finally managed to get a new post on the Train blog...and it's YOU *VBS* Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Finn

May Kristin said...

This really looks interesting! Look forward to see more of it!

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

I like what you did so far. It looks cold and wintery, I'm looking forward to see more.

Unknown said...

This is interesting...

Juliann in WA said...

This is great. You are really moving right along. Nice work. I love the idea of stuffing the snowguys.

Luísa Silva said...

This is a kind of patchwork "as you go". I love the look. I search Tonya's blog to see the tutorial and I think it's very interesting.

Tonya Ricucci said...

trying this again - I think Blogger just ate my comment. So glad you are enjoying the class - your work looks wonderful. the letters will get easier as you practise with them.