Wednesday, October 3, 2018

A new ornament

By now, you all know that I love garden ornaments.  The more whimsy, the better.  So, here is my latest addition!  It is the big black thing.  Doesn't it stand out and says 'LOOK AT ME'!
No .... wait a minute ..... that is a real bear!   It was munching on my Lily of the Valley plants.  The plant and berries are poisonous.  It just munched a bit and then stopped.  Did it somehow know it shouldn't be eating that plant?
This bear is about 2 yrs. old.  It kept looking at the chair.  Did it want to sit for a while?  Hang out in our garden and have a snooze?
Not much here to munch on ....
Thank you for coming.  It was a thrill to see you, but we are very glad you kept on going and we won't be offended if you don't come back for another visit.  Truly, we won't be offended.
This all happened on Sunday evening when our neighbour phoned to warn us that a bear was coming our way.  They said that an adult bear was here just half an hour before and that this younger one came behind the larger one.  This bear was big enough and I can only imagine how big the adult one was!  OMG!

The bears are hungry and trying to beef up before going into hibernation.  Since our summer was hot and very dry, their usual food has been scarce for them to feed on.  So, into the city they are coming.  The crab apple trees are loaded and they will be feeding on them. 

What is scary is that my husband has been working on the rock walls lately and was planning on going out for just a while to work off some of his supper.  Good thing he didn't go then because there could have been issues!  My husband has since bought an air horn to use for scaring off bears.  He is taking precautions and looking around him as he works.

Now that my heart has settled back to normal, a bit of sewing got done on this hexagon snowflake.  This has to be a bit secretive at the moment.  More on this later. 
What else has been going on around here?  Painting.  This is a very small area but has five doors and is taking forever.  Sheesh.  Well, it didn't help that I had a cold and didn't have much energy to do much of anything.
This shawl got blocked for my 'karma is a bitch' sister.  Her shawl turned out pretty darn good and the blocking really showed off the lacy border.  Since I have Styrofoam boards and a gazillion pins, it made perfect sense for me to block it for her and she didn't dither when it was offered.
What else?

A couple of Dutch Treat blocks.  My friend Debra and I are doing them together.  She signed up this summer to do them with Meerkat Trading.  Should I mention that I signed up ..... oh, about three years ago to do them with the quilt-along.  Debra finally got me motivated to actually start them.  My blocks are bigger and they will finish at 6" instead of 4" and my applique will not only be reverse but any applique method that suits each block.  Also, my blocks will be on point just to be different .... of course!  🐱🐱
There is more to talk about, but this will be it for this week.

Have a great day!

Linking to: http://estheraliu.blogspot.com/ and http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness a bear in the garden! What a frightening experience. We don't have bears where I live in New Zealand thank goodness, wouldn't want to stumble across one at all. An air horn sounds like a good deterrent to me.

Kyle said...

There was just a local news story in Fort Collins about the increased number of bears coming down from the foothills. You got some great photos. Awesome snowflake.

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Great bear photos. Love all your projects, you have been busy.

Glenda said...

Lovely funny post but Id be scared of that bear to, and especially Mumma bear with her cubs????? Your rock-wall garden terrace is beautiful. I nearly stood on a large snake the other night and boy was my heart ponding for ages afterwards, all though we have so many snakes where I live this is the first time Ive nearly stood on one. You have some lovely projects going and so glad you have started your Dutch blocks they will be sentational when finsihed.

eloidastitches said...

Crazy!!--about the bear! I am sure it would scare me half to death. Glad you are all safe. You are a sweetheart for blocking your sisters shawl. Nice that she got it done finally. ;) Looking forward to seeing what the snowflake project will be.