Thursday, August 16, 2018

Well ... that was an oopsie!

My sister and I have been at the cottage for the last five days.  It was hot, hot, hot.  Not much in the way of stitching got done.  The nights were cool and that gave us a bit of a reprieve.  Book reading took over. 

Still, I did some work on my snowball top.  Sitting on the front porch soaking in whatever cool breeze came off the lake.

My sister pulled out her knitting bag and I snickered and asked about the shawl that she has started and tore out numerous times because of mistakes.  I snickered again as she hesitatingly told me that she has it with her and she thinks it is ok.  She has been working on that shawl for the last three years at least.

While we were talking, about 20" of vine was appliqued onto the border.  Oh, so lovely.
Then, horror of horrors ..... it was discovered that I appliqued two borders together!  How in the world did that happen?  This is the backside.  Actually, the words out of my mouth were ..... wtf!  No, I'm not going to translate this in case you are wondering what that stands for. 
So, to make the story longer ..... my sister hears me moaning and groaning and says to me ...... karma is a bitch, eh!  She is laughing at me at this point and yes karma is a ...... as we each sat and looked at each other and started to laugh like crazy.
The ripping out commenced.  Good thing only a bit was done and not the whole border.  I'm still puzzled that the thickness didn't clue me in in the first place.  I'm blaming this on the heat!
With the hot temperatures, it was hard to have anything on my lap to sew.  My thinking cap went on my head and I quickly looked around for ideas.  I grabbed a small stool and placed it over my lap.
Then, when I lifted my legs onto the another footstool, the stool was raised high enough for me to have my top on the stool and that is how I was able to do some stitching,  The stool had air space underneath to keep me cool and the bulk of the top was on the top of the stool.  Perfect.  As I stitched away, I could hear me sister sucking in her breath as she almost make another mistake on her knitting.  Every time she did that, I kept my mouth shut (no snickering) and quickly looked under my stitching to make sure that I did not have two thickness of fabric.  Karma kept me quiet!  🐱🐱
So, after this wee drawback, I did get my second set of vines on the borders.   Another strip of vine needs to be made to complete the bottom border and that will get done in the next few days.  This is the layout that I've decided to go with.  It looks neater and simpler.  I'm happy with that. 
Today is another hot day, but at least we have a/c at home and that is where you will find me.

Have a great day!

Linking to: http://estheraliu.blogspot.com/ and http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What a beautiful quilt! The borders add so much! It's good that you and your sister can take the good-natured ribbing. Karma does tend to come back and bite you when you aren't paying attention.

eloidastitches said...

Sorry for laughing, but this was too funny!! I am glad that you weren't too far on your vine. I did the same thing not too long ago on a little piece of applique. Grrr... Sending hugs to your sister with a wish that this time she gets it right. Some projects are just like that. I have been there too. I am glad both of you could laugh at the situation. Best of luck going forward!!

Jennifer said...

That is so funny! Just goes to show that you should never laugh at another's misfortune, you never know what's around your own corner......could be a very slippery banana skin. Love the assymatric borders.

Teresa said...

Oh how I love your border. I always admire original borders and think I will do and original design on my next quilt, and seldom to I do it. Next time, I will....I think.

Kyle said...

It's a beautiful appliqued border. The heat can make us do, well, interesting and unfortunate things.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Oh dear, good thing you caught that before you got too far. I know it’s disheartening to reverse appliqué. I once appliquéd something to my shirttail!

Julie Fukuda said...

I think many of us have had moments like that. Yes, the heat of this summer tends to muddy the brain as well and two days ago I joined two blocks upside-down. Nice plan for that border too.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh but what delightful words...”stitching at the cottage “.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I think we have all have done this at one point or another. I am so thankful for ac we are having a hot day today after the rain so humidity will be unbearable. Your vine border looks great

Chookyblue...... said...

Lol to funny..... Loved the post...... Stay cool ....

Quilter Kathy said...

A gorgeous applique border! I say definitely blame the heat!!