Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Working on different things

We are almost at the end of August.  Whew, that month flew by quickly!

August and September mean renovations and fixing things up around the house.  Well, the renovations are all done, just a bit of fixing things up to do.

First, though, this quilt is being machine quilted by me.  It is twin size and that I can manage.  This quilt is for a wee niece who is turning 3 soon and has moved to a big girl bed.  More on this quilt later.
Last week DH and I redid this office chair.  It turned out mighty fine!  I'm trying to clean out my upholstery stash and whatever can't be used will be donated to a lady who makes bags.
Next up is this fabric for this footstool.  I've been wanting to recover this stool for years and finally bought the fabric yesterday.  Nothing in my stash worked, so I bought a metre to do the job.
 If I'm careful with the fabric, there might be enough leftover to do this little stool.
 Then, this quilt ladder will get three coats of Varethane to prevent any transfer of wood resin.
September also means spray painting time for me.  There are a few pieces that need to get done.  September usually offers days of less humidity which is perfect for spray painting.  So, I do need to get my butt into gear because cooler days will be coming soon.

The next few photos are Decorating with Quilts.  My bookcase is starting to fill up very nicely but I will run out of space soonish.  There are still 19 tops to be quilted.  Some of those tops will be donated or gifted, but the majority will stay with me. 

The second shelf from the top has most of my EPP quilts, wall hangings and tops.  Yes, EPP.  One day, I will have to do a show of all my EPP projects.   There are still six EPP projects in different stages.  Most of them just need borders and they will get done soon.   In case anyone is wondering, there are two coats of primer and three coats of Varethane on the bookcase shelves to stop any wood resin from coming through.
What's on my bed?  EPP quilt, of course!  There is also an EPP on the ladder.  My ladder also has primer, paint and three coats of Varethane.  Got to protect my quilts!  I will be making sleeves out of leftover batting to cover the rungs on both ladders.   Maybe a bit overkill, but protection, protection is the name of the game.
Soon, my September quilts will get changed on the beds and walls.  Autumn is coming.  There are already some leaves changing colour.  After our summer drought, I'm not sure what the display will be like this year.

On another note, this feline would really love to become our cat.  She tried last year after our dear Miss Ashes passed on and she is trying again this year.  When she sees us, she comes running and meowing to greet us.  As you can imagine, she gets much attention from us.  Problem is ..... she belongs to the neighbours next door.  They have a young child plus a dog and I can only imagine how busy and noisy it can be for this feline.  Our place is very quiet.  Oh dear, it is going to get rough as the weather gets colder and she will want to be inside our place.  Maybe we should keep the extra  container of litter after all?
Have a great day!
Linking to: http://estheraliu.blogspot.com/ and http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Kyle said...

Wow! So many projects and so many accomplishments. It feels good to cross a few things off the lists. I should get my you know what in gear too.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

A bookcase is a great way to showcase your quilts. Sounds like you keep everything in tip top shape over there! We try to do that too, but it gets more difficult as we get older.

Jennifer said...

Oh my......you have been busy! My mother used an old wooden wardrobe to store some lovely old linens, but sadly they were ruined by the oils and resin seeping out from the unfinished wood. Good idea to seal your raw wood. Hello, Alley Cat.....looking forward to meeting you, I'm sure you will still be hanging round in October.

Jeanne A. said...

Are you in the market for leftover pieces of 80/20 batting for your ladder rungs? I have some that could wander down the road to your place if you are interested!

Deb said...

If you see another cabinet in my area like that one I would love to knab it! Perfect for quilts